Final Drive Difference

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Well on most in not ALL FCUBS - except Rex '48 the cap screws and bolts that hold the final drives on are 3/8". Apparently when our left final drive was welded before we purchased it - they also - drilled and tapped the differential housing and final drive to 7/16". Imagine my surprise on assembly - did not notice the difference when we took Rex apart. This newbie - tore the manuals apart looking for reference to 7/16" Cap Screws....

Over dinner I surmised that it must have been customized for some reason when it was welded. - My Cub is now really special - Guess I would NOT have been putting the left on the right as I thought early on in my restoration.

Ken

Re: Final Drive Difference

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:33 pm

More than likely the threads were stripped out when the finial broke [ on account of loose bolts ] and they were drilled and tapped to 7/16. I have seen a few like this.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:02 pm

check the drill size for a 3/8 16 heilacoil, you still might be able to put heilacoils in it to make it 3/8" again
Tim

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 pm

tst wrote:check the drill size for a 3/8 16 heilacoil, you still might be able to put heilacoils in it to make it 3/8" again
Tim

3/8 helicoil takes 25/64 drill - Know that because I just put a helicoil in the block. If I did that - how would I fix the 7/16" hole in the final drive housing? I'm tempted to just leave well enough alone - we used Rex as he was from 1965 till this March.

Ken