This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trouble deciding what to buy..

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
suckrpnch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43334

Re: Trouble deciding what to buy..

Postby suckrpnch » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Wow... I can't believe how helpful you guys are.

By a complete random stop at a farm to pick up some hay today I have made my decision (I think :lol: ). I noticed as I was loading my truck that the guy had an 8N, 9N, an assortment of Farmalls, as well as an Oliver, Matador(?), and various ACs. I mentioned my dilemma and just asked what his personal opinion was and he was more than happy (insistent even) to have me do a couple laps around his farm. It in fact solidified that I want BOTH, however, the Ford will be my first purchase. He isn't really interested in getting rid of any of his but he did set me up with a couple people who may.

I had a blast just riding around on the cub - and this is in no way a negative comment but, it really felt like a go-cart compared to the 9N. While I know the Fords are overkill for what I am doing in the immediate future, my in-laws are currently shopping for a large parcel (100+ acres) to spend their retirement and I have a feeling whatever I get will be spending some time there as well.

I really do appreciate all the comments and will continue reading/lurking here until I physically have my hands on something relative.

Now if I can find a way to save a couple of these little guys from rotting in the weeds until I can do something with 'em.... :shock:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

hurleyjd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75497

Postby hurleyjd » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:42 pm

For not mush more money for a good 8n you could move on up to the blue fords. 4100,3600, 2800,2810 and have a much better tractor. You can find one of them in diesel also..

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:56 pm

hurleyjd wrote:For not mush more money for a good 8n you could move on up to the blue fords. 4100,3600, 2800,2810 and have a much better tractor. You can find one of them in diesel also..

\
8N $1800 or so 3600 $5500 or so :D much more cash
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

suckrpnch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby suckrpnch » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:59 pm

hurleyjd wrote:For not mush more money for a good 8n you could move on up to the blue fords. 4100,3600, 2800,2810 and have a much better tractor. You can find one of them in diesel also..

See this is how I ended up with the 70" TV... "well, a 46 is this much but only $x to get the 50.. well if I'm lookin at the 50 its only $x to get the 60... well if i'm thinking of seriously getting a 60, I might as well 70, its only $x more..." Nipping all that in my head right away. Don't get me wrong, I would mind having one. If I was going that route I'd probably buy a family friends' new JD compact with loader, and backhoe. I'll honestly probably regret not buying it but it's just not what I want. I'm looking for simplicity - something that I can maintain and rebuild and last for a good long time - the least bells and whistles as possible - basically I want to sit on a engine with wheels. I know the blue Fords aren't a huge step up from the Ns but age wise, I've kinda set a limit at a '53 Jubilie.. strictly because it's fun to say :roll: .... but once I take that step.... :lol:

suckrpnch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby suckrpnch » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Boss Hog wrote:

\
8N $1800 or so 3600 $5500 or so :D much more cash

I was guessing the were up there... almost 3x the $ is "much".. haven't even looked though due to reason stated above haha

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Just have to throw in 2 cents more....Don't rule out the old Harry Ferguson line....Good engines from Continental, Perkins diesel etc....Parts are still available...Relatively the same as the Ford....My TO 20 has a 36 inch manure bucket Wagner loader hyrdraulic bucket dump...Re-enforced frame(drag links and front axle)(by the PO)x 7:00 x 16 Military tires and 12 volt conversion,3 pt hitch....Reason I mention all this is it was 1500..( I've seem them for 1000 just the tractor).....There around if you look hard enough...You can get a cub for 1200/1300...Now you're out 2800....Course the price of an old tractor is just a down payment....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

suckrpnch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby suckrpnch » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:20 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:Just have to throw in 2 cents more....Don't rule out the old Harry Ferguson line....Good engines from Continental, Perkins diesel etc....Parts are still available...Relatively the same as the Ford....My TO 20 has a 36 inch manure bucket Wagner loader hyrdraulic bucket dump...Re-enforced frame(drag links and front axle)(by the PO)x 7:00 x 16 Military tires and 12 volt conversion,3 pt hitch....Reason I mention all this is it was 1500..( I've seem them for 1000 just the tractor).....There around if you look hard enough...You can get a cub for 1200/1300...Now you're out 2800....Course the price of an old tractor is just a down payment....Dave

Hey, I'm collecting as much change as I can right now...

While top of my list is the Ford N series, I'm checking out:
Allis-Chalmers A and B
Ferguson TO-25 - TO-30 - TO-35 (not sure on the TO-20, still looking in to this over run clutch required on the PTO for certain implements)
Oliver Super 55 (though most seem a little pricy around here)
And a couple of the older Case models D, 530, etc..

There's also a couple Ohio manufactured ones that would be neat to own..
Silver Kings (just a few miles from where I grew up but doesn't meet enough criteria)
Centaur (not far from that)
...I think these are getting more in the "collectable" area and I think any of those would be getting in over my head when repair time comes. Certainly not serious considerations.

... Not a complete list and certainly didn't come up with all of these on my own. Just seeing what's available around here (and in my price range) and researching it to death to see if I think it fits what I'm looking for.

I'm expecting the buying price to just be the down payment but I don't want to be forced to dump a bunch of money in to it right away. I'd like to make as many payments as I can on my schedule :beer:

hurleyjd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75497

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Okay maybe that the 3600 is to high for you but it is three times the tractors you are looking at. How about looking at a 2000 Ford with gas that would be a fair comparison, also can be had in diesel. 8ns here run from $500 for junk all the way to $5000. Of course this is the asking price. You mentioned the Massey Fergusons I have seen some pretty good looking 135s for $2500 and all the way to $5000. Also buying a used tractor is always a gamble. Just like a book you can not judge them by their covers. Some pretty painted and junk and some pretty rough that are still good using tractors. Buy one with decent rubber, if you have to replace look at around $700 to a $1000 for them. Never had a tractor that I had that at times I wanted one that had more power. Look for one with a live PTO or more preferred by me would be the independent.

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:17 pm

i have never been a fan of the n fords, brakes usually don't work. i wouldn't want to HAVE to work with one. my cub is fun for little stuff but if i only could keep one tractor i think it would be my 530 case. they made a 430 case and they are real nice tractors. plenty of power, live pto live hydraulces came in rowcrop widefront end or utility tractor gas or diesel, case-o-matic torque convertor drive or triple range with dry clutch. they are not real popular and prices are low as a result. parts are available. i vote for a 430 case if you can find one around they relly were/are some of the best engineered, most user frendly tractors of the 60's - 70's.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Well a 601 ford has a 2 stage clutch and you should be able to get one for $2500 in good condition with a piece or 2 of equipment with it. I would stay away from the Fergusons and A.C.s. And I would not have a 2 , 8 or 9 N. Over priced for what they are in my opinion. They have bad brakes as well as poor hydraulics and no live PTO, and the Fergusons were copied after them :wink:
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower

Postby Eoghan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:19 pm

The one big thing that made me go with the cub over other options is the ground clearance and view for cultivating. We do about an acre or so of vegetables, and the cub just dances through the field with a kind of grace I can't imagine getting from a ford..

as a side note, I just plowed under about .5 acres of sod (in somewhat compacted silt loam) with the cub and it went surprisingly well! especially once I got it adjusted properly and the moldboard got good and shiny (it was pretty rusty when I started). I don't have the coulter for my plow, so the furrows were a little ragged in spots.. made for a bumpy ride with the disc, but we got the job done.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:59 am

Boss Hog wrote:They have bad brakes as well as poor hydraulics and no live PTO, and the Fergusons were copied after them
Brakes?????? I didn't know they had brakes..... :shock: All kidding aside, you get what you pay for...I'm sure you'll do what suits you the best...These tractors are inexpensive and researched properly can get you started....The more you want to spend the more modern tractor you'll get...But you know this...(You might even find one with power steering :lol: )....Back to Cubs...Well they don't have any of the attributes mentioned, but beware they are highly addictive... :mrgreen: Happy hunting...Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Return to “Farmall Cub”