22 mower

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Why is there a 4.5 and a 5.0 foot cub 22 sickle mower? Any reason to own one over the other? I'd guess the 5 foot would get the work done faster unless a guy has to go slower due to drag at the end of the mower.

Todd

Re: 22 mower

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:31 pm

I can't say for certain in regards to a Cub, but I do know the cutter bar is the same as the IH #9 and #7 mowers, which came in different lengths depending on your hitch.

Having a #9, I thank the Cub for the reason I can still easily find parts.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:39 pm

the first few years of cubs they made the 4.5 ft and then switched to the 5 ft
Tim

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:05 am

Thanks,

And can the blades be sharpened, or is there a source to replace them when they get dull? I found on Youtube a video using a blade remover to remove the blades from the bar.

Todd

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:11 am

IH made a sharpener, the manual is listed under "McCormick-Deering Implement Manuals" on Rudi's server.Image
The sections can be replaced and can be found at most farm and ranch stores. I've never tried to sharpen them using a grinder, etc. There are many Forum members who own a Johnson Sickle Servicer which makes removal and replacement easier and faster.

Bob

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:25 am

I just use a file to dress the edges. Be careful. I dropped a knife last week sharpening it and it almost took my little finger off!

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:16 am

I've got one of each. Can't really tell much difference in operation.

The 5ft version lets you get 9/8's of the work done in the same time as the 4.5ft version, assuming a 6" overlap.