Hi all! This thread will chronicle my refreshing of "Lewis", my 1955 Cub. I bought this Cub from a member from Oregon, and after some finagling, he arrived in La Crosse, WI, where I was currently living.
Here he is on the final leg of the journey back to La Crosse (under cover of darkness)
As I typically do when I get a new cub (I have had a total of three thus far...still have two of them) I give them a "shakedown" and get them in basic running condition.
When tearing into it, I removed the distributor. As you can see from the picture, the governor was "slightly" out of time with the engine...
There were also a couple of busted off bolts in the radiator base....had to get those out so I could put the rad back on and get some coolant back in there...
Here is a pic of the 'shadetree' mechanic area where I was working on him... My wife didn't really know what to think at this point!
Well, in August of 2011, I loaded Lewis onto a Uhaul trailer and took him out to a mini-fest in Tomah Wisconsin at BillinWI's house and we started into working on him to finally get him running:
Rebuilt his carb: (Yes, I know that the fitting isn't original)
Removed final drive to attempt to fix brakes and to remove a speed reducer that was to go back to Oregon. This is when we found the broken implement boss on the left final, and it was decided to just button it back up until such time as I can replace the final drive. The fast hitch, you will notice has an different kind of diagonal link. I was thinking originally about replacing this, but decided to keep it just in case I end up with a rear mounted mower and needed to clear the way for the drive shaft.
I also had some REAL QUALITY help from Mark (Birddog), Todd (Twohlt) and Bill to straighten the hood and grill on this tractor, weld up new nuts on the back side for the light posts, re-tap holes for the doglegs and grill mounts. Here is what it looked like in August of 2011...
Finally got to hear it run and drive it for a bit. WOW... was the transmission LOUD... that will need to be addressed. The tractor ran very smoothly, but is smokey. It leaks oil from the front main seal Not the back as of yet that I can see.
Well, in the Spring of 2012, I took a new job that was going to relocate me back "home" to Pittsburgh, PA. It was time to load up my tractors (and the rest of the house) and get ready for my move.
Here is Lewis getting ready for the trip to Western PA:
And Lewis loaded on the cushy covered trailer for the eastward trip:
Fast forward to present day...September 2013. This fall is the official start to the "refreshment" of Lewis. It is my hope to have all of the mechanical stuff taken care of over the Winter as well as having the sheet metal painted by an auto-body friend of mine, so that next spring, I can get the cast parts painted and have him together by late Spring. There are major undertakings to get this accomplished, and I hope to be able to chronicle them here for all to see.
Thanks for looking all... Hope you enjoy the journey as much as I do. This is such a fun hobby!
Mike in Allison Park, PA