Manual Lift Arm - Will Scrape Fender

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 pm

On Rex '48 now that I've put a new lift push-rod on it, it's going to hit the fender when the manual lift rod is pulled the way back. The fenders are new - as in not bent in or out. The rod was purchased from a reputable seller in this forum and is not bent.

Gents, what's the cause and cure - besides bending the rod. Anyone else had this happen?

Ken
Last edited by PVF1799 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Manual Lift Arm - Will Scrap Fender

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm

i would think you need to tweak the fender a bit, post a pic if you can

Re: Manual Lift Arm - Will Scrape Fender

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Let it scrape, it will only remove a little paint each time. At least that is what I did for several years until I got tired of it and bent the rod inward a little.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:12 pm

Rob, I tweaked the fender a little bit just after I took these photos. Applied a few foot pounds of my mass to the top at the middle. It seems better, but can't fully test right now with the flat belt pulley on. Here's the pictures.

Ken
IMG_2811 (600x800).jpg

IMG_2812 (600x800).jpg

IMG_2813 (600x800).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:21 pm

Another thing that will help is to put a flat washer or two on the rod between the cotter key and the arm to hold it over a little closer to the arm and away from the fender.Image

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Put a flat washer (thickest that will fit) next to the cotter pin at the back end.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:32 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Another thing that will help is to put a flat washer or two on the rod between the cotter key and the arm to hold it over a little closer to the arm and away from the fender.Image

Yes, it appears to be a good strong 1/8" gap that could be taken up -- away from the fender.

Bill

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:19 am

You can also space the fender out with washers.