This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sterring shaft/support bushing ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Flinttim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47274

Sterring shaft/support bushing ?

Postby Flinttim » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:40 pm

An update on my 53. Starter is in the shop getting new brushes and bushings, just finished rewiring the thing. I think my next project is replacing the steering shaft seal and gasket (it leaks). While I have it apart, I'd like to do something about where the shaft goes thru the support. The shaft has wallowed out the support and is sloppy.Anyone fixed this with a bushing of some sort, bought or homemade ?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sterring shaft/support bushing ?

Postby Cecil » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Never fixed on but I think Steiner has them. $28.95

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Like Cecil, I've never fixed one, but I'd think it you bored it out enough for a bushing, the remaining wall thickness would be getting pretty thin. I'm sure there are lots of used ones out there if you don't want to buy a new one or try and fix the old one. If you look for a used one, you'll need to decide if you want the oil hole version or the grease zerc version.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Flinttim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47274

Postby Flinttim » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:43 pm

Putting in a zirk fitting should be no problem, I have all the necessary drill and taps . I'll check the local places for a possible bushing, if not I'll turn one.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:46 pm

In that case, I'd say "go for it". If you can take some before and after pictures, I'd like to see how it turns out.

Thanks, Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Alan Riley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71328

Postby Alan Riley » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 am

I recall George Willer fabricating a new steering shaft support from scratch a few years back. He posted pictures at the time.
Old Age: The phase of life when nothing works and everything hurts...

Return to “Farmall Cub”