Sterring shaft/support bushing ?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:40 pm

An update on my 53. Starter is in the shop getting new brushes and bushings, just finished rewiring the thing. I think my next project is replacing the steering shaft seal and gasket (it leaks). While I have it apart, I'd like to do something about where the shaft goes thru the support. The shaft has wallowed out the support and is sloppy.Anyone fixed this with a bushing of some sort, bought or homemade ?

Re: Sterring shaft/support bushing ?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Never fixed on but I think Steiner has them. $28.95

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Like Cecil, I've never fixed one, but I'd think it you bored it out enough for a bushing, the remaining wall thickness would be getting pretty thin. I'm sure there are lots of used ones out there if you don't want to buy a new one or try and fix the old one. If you look for a used one, you'll need to decide if you want the oil hole version or the grease zerc version.

Bob

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:43 pm

Putting in a zirk fitting should be no problem, I have all the necessary drill and taps . I'll check the local places for a possible bushing, if not I'll turn one.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:46 pm

In that case, I'd say "go for it". If you can take some before and after pictures, I'd like to see how it turns out.

Thanks, Bob

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 am

I recall George Willer fabricating a new steering shaft support from scratch a few years back. He posted pictures at the time.