This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front end rebuild/reseal?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MoRedMan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64119
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Front end rebuild/reseal?

Postby MoRedMan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:48 pm

After draining the steering box on the '48 (full of water and gunk) this last spring, and flushing with kerosene, I refilled with 90 weight, but I gained a leak, and it leaked dry. SO- I suppose I'm looking at pulling the front end and rebuilding/resealing.
Is there a rebuild how-to on this? I'll also need all the seals and parts to do so- are they available from Napa, or? Does anyone happen to have a list as to what's needed?
Thanks in advance!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

baldwindiesel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44820

Re: Front end rebuild/reseal?

Postby baldwindiesel » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:39 pm

MoRedMan:
Gasket from Case/IH. Please read my latest post "Problem solved, lesson learned, tip for others. It will save you some grief !
I used a trailer jack splitting stand (see projects forum) and also a boom mounted on my Farmall C to make sure I had a safe project before I dropped the front.
Good luck !

Baldwindiesel

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:47 pm

I couldn't find a "How to", but the directions in the GSS-1411 are pretty straight forward. If you go to TM's sight, they show the gasket, seals, bushings, and thrust washers that are needed. Unless you find significant wear in the bushings, they probably won't need to be replaced (and are expensive). If you go to the ATIS faqs under Rudi's manuals, you'll find the crossovers for the seals. I doubt that you can find the other parts outside of TM, a dealer, or used.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

MoRedMan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MoRedMan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Hopefully this don't sound odd- where would I find the GSS-1411? Is it online? Sounds like I need to read it. I'm probably going to get it up in the air and disassemble this weekend.
I could always do what my grandfather did, and just wade into it, but I'd like an idea first.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:15 pm

MoRedMan wrote:where would I find the GSS-1411?

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... index.html
I have an excuse. CRS.

MoRedMan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MoRedMan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:21 pm

Oops- posted before I looked at Rudi's. Looks rather involved. Believe I'll hold off until I'm ready to pull the hood and rewire.
Time to start buying parts!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Eugene wrote:
MoRedMan wrote:where would I find the GSS-1411?

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... index.html

Or you could get a complete pdf here that has been cropped, indexed, and keyword searchable here: http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/download.php?fname=./files/Service%20Manuals/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals/GSS-1411%20W-Rev%201%20Cub%20*%20Lo-Boy%202-76%20OCR.pdf

I like having the pdf for quick access and navigation and Rudi's "page"pegs for posting here. Best of both worlds.

Return to “Farmall Cub”