Marvel Mystery Oil

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:24 pm

So, is this stuff safe to put in my tranny fluid? I want to clean that puppy up inside, there is rust and gunk from years of neglect. Other ideas?

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:42 pm

It is good stuff.

You might want to flush your transmission with som deisel fuel before you add the Mystery Oil.

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 pm

The MMO can't hurt, but I agree with Tezell that something more expendable (diesel fuel - or even paint thinner) can be used for several initial flushes. Once the ugly crud stops coming out, you can move up to gear oil + MMO or perhaps other potions.

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Edited
Last edited by pickerandsinger on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Pretty much what Tim said. Drain the trans, add 3 1/2 pints of diesel, drive the cub for about 5 to 10 minutes to get the diesel sloshed around and then drain. Add 3 1/2 pints of 80/90 and go with that. MMO is alright, but I doubt you will need it in a trans.

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:45 pm

I originally flushed the trans with kerosene quite a bit maybe 2 gallons worth poured around in there. I did that because it had a bit of gunk and rust, the transmission was frozen when I first started working and only water poured out when I first drained the fluids, it was sitting outside maybe 20 years. Now I have just some AW 32 hydraulic fluid (my local auto parts store gave me that), but would you all recomend the diesel thing still? I am pretty much done for the year now with driving the tractor, just trying to overhaul as much as possible before spring.

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Sounds to me like the transmission need a total overhaul if it was like you were describing. Being frozen and full of rust and water, the bearing can't be in that good of shape. How loud is the transmision when driving? If it is ok (good enough for you), then I would remove the top cover and powerwash it a couple of times and let it drain and dry thoughoughly. Then add kerosene or diesel and drive it around a bit in all gears until everything is good and hot. Drain it well and then remove top cover again. Add 90 weight gear oil with the top cover removed, coating everything well as you pour it in. With its history, I might even use a heavier weight gear oil like 140 weight.

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:42 am

has anyone used Lucas oil stabilizer a mechanic told me he used it in his old tractors it's a lot like STP he said he used it without diluting it and it would cling to the gears and help cut down a lot of the gear noise,

Jim

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:03 am

Jim Reid wrote:has anyone used Lucas oil stabilizer a mechanic told me he used it in his old tractors it's a lot like STP he said he used it without diluting it and it would cling to the gears and help cut down a lot of the gear noise,

Jim

and some car dealers use to put sawdust in the rear ends and transmissions to quite em down too :wink:

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:14 am

Yep on the sawdust.

Billy

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:58 am

No petroleum based liquid will remove any rust. Some acids will, but that is not the sort of thing that you want to put in your transmission.

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:53 am

When I was a teenager I worked at a service station that recapped tires there was a local car dealer that would go to DC and Baltimore and buy cars bring them back and use the ground up rubber from the recapping shop in the rear end to quiet them everyone local knew his tricks and he soon acquired the nickname of Lying John Benbow.

Jim

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:33 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:Sounds to me like the transmission need a total overhaul if it was like you were describing. Being frozen and full of rust and water, the bearing can't be in that good of shape. How loud is the transmision when driving? If it is ok (good enough for you), then I would remove the top cover and powerwash it a couple of times and let it drain and dry thoughoughly. Then add kerosene or diesel and drive it around a bit in all gears until everything is good and hot. Drain it well and then remove top cover again. Add 90 weight gear oil with the top cover removed, coating everything well as you pour it in. With its history, I might even use a heavier weight gear oil like 140 weight.


At first it was pretty loud and sounded like a tank and gears rolling onto normandy. But it does seam to get better the more I drive it. The other day I lifted the rear axle up a bit to start the overhaul on them and some oil (a cup or less) leaked out of the clutch hand-access hole. It looked like the color of the stuff I flushed out of the tranny box, I wasn't sure about that but I assume some sort of seal or something needs to be redone. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Which bearings do you speak of?

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:02 pm

There are bearings in the transmission and in the final drives. The oil you found up front could have came from the rear engine seal.

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:32 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:... The oil you found up front could have came from the rear engine seal.


Possible, however, given the shape of the torque tube and bell housing the oil is from the transmission. Oil leaking from the rear seal invariably comes out at the front of the bell housing and the thin steel plate bolted to the front of the bell housing