Drain engine fluids

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:57 am

I have a Cub Lowboy that the starter went out. I have mainly water in the engine. I need to drain the water out for winter. If I take the hose off the bottom of the radiator that connects to the bottom of the engine will that drain off all the water for winter?
I tried pulling to start but that was a no go.

Re: Drain engine fluids

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:01 am

There is a drain plug under the radiator, in the cast iron piece that also holds part of the steering gear. Is your plug rusted in tight?

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:41 am

Yes, that will drain the engine and radiator.

You will probably need to remove the starter to get to the water manifold on the side of the block. You have to remove the manifold to remove the hose.

Actually this would be a good time to flush the engine block and lower radiator housing.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Removing the hose will leave an inch or so of water in the cast iron housing at bottom of radiator, but that should not hurt anything.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks guys for the tips.
I removed the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator. Plus I removed the starter, the water manifold and the connecting hose. Everything seemed to drained OK.
Is there any other water pockets I have to worry about freezing over winter?
Don't have time to work on it now as it's deer hunting time.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:52 am

MK111 wrote:Is there any other water pockets I have to worry about freezing over winter?
Nope, that's all. Removing the drain plug from the bolster would have sufficed.

However, since the water manifold on the side of the block is off - go ahead and flush the crud from the engine block and bolster/lower radiator housing.