hydraulic pump o-rings

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

hydraulic pump o-rings

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:05 pm

With all the problems being discussed about the 0-rings and the worn pump shafts, has anyone ever tried square o-rings which would ride in different places and extend the life of the pump shaft.

per the McMaster Carr website
With four sealing surfaces, you'll get twice the sealing protection as standard O-rings. Also known as Quattro Seals and X-rings, double-seal O-rings are symmetrically designed for sealing on the ID, OD, top, and bottom. This reduces the amount of force needed to create a positive seal, increasing seal life and reducing maintenance. All meet ASTM D2000/SAE J200.

They are available in
Viton® fluoroelastomer works well in higher temperatures, with a range of -15° to +400° F. Durometer hardness is A75. Color is black. Which should withstand the HyTran and temperatures.

According to my measurements they are McMaster-Carr part 6540K136, $14.88 for 25 rings.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: hydraulic pump o-rings

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:38 am

Thats a new one on me, John....Never even heard of square o rings...Sounds real interesting...Have to watch this post....
In Memory of 58,286
pickerandsinger
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ Danco c3
1953 Cub w/ IH C-2 Mower
1950 Ferguson TO20 w/ loader
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH Cub Snow Blade 54A
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:15 am

sounds plausible to me from what you've said and what I've read, although I've only put about 1 minute and 30 seconds into this idea. Maybe some others can give their input and experience with these rings.

I know I tried to get a speedy sleeve from the parts guy at Napa when I brought my pump shaft in; and he gave me a "deer in the headlights look" . This was an middle-aged guy that has worked there for a while too, thus thinking he would have known what I wanted. Apparently I didn't call it by the term he knew of, and he asked me what it was for. He quickly said "oh, well that will not work on that. You need, to just replace the old shaft." He didn't even pull a part to check, or show them to me. Since I haven't ever even seen a speedy sleeve and didn't know much about them, I didn't have much to say back. Maybe I should get the part number and go back and just ask for it that way.
AL Farmall Boy
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 35111

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:03 am

Al, normally a Speedi Sleeve or repair sleeve is purchased by giving the counterman the original seal number and he can use the Speedi Sleeve, or whatever brand he sells cross reference to look up the right sleeve and new seal. You do need a different seal with the sleeve since it makes the shaft larger. If you use the original size seal with a speedi sleeve the seal fits tighter on the sleeve and tends to wear faster. As many have found out, there is not enough room to put a speedi sleeve on with an o-ring.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:44 am

John, I'll have to respectfully disagree about the need for a different seal, from the SKF website:

"There is no shaft disassembly or machining involved and costly downtime is minimized. Since the same sized seal as the original can be used, there is no need to search for other seals, or keep a stock of different sizes."

Bob

Edit: But maybe the speedi-sleeve could be used with a slightly larger o-ring ID. (?)
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein
Bob McCarty
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 80501
Circle of Safety Award

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:John, I'll have to respectfully disagree about the need for a different seal, from the SKF website:

"There is no shaft disassembly or machining involved and costly downtime is minimized. Since the same sized seal as the original can be used, there is no need to search for other seals, or keep a stock of different sizes."

Bob

Edit: But maybe the speedi-sleeve could be used with a slightly larger o-ring ID. (?)
That may be true in some applications, but when you use the speedisleeve for the crank seal they send a different seal.

I have never tried one, but I think you will find a speedisleeve will not fit through the opening in the housing
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby ricky racer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:32 pm

I couldn't find a Speedy Sleeve to fit the application so I opted for the fix below.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40331&hilit=+leaking
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub
ricky racer
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Ricky, I think John and I are just trying to find a simple solution that doesn't necessitate having the machinist skills that you possess.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein
Bob McCarty
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 80501
Circle of Safety Award

Return to Farmall Cub