Steering Arm Set Screw Keeps Coming Loose

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:26 pm

This is more of a PIA than a serious malfunction.

The steering arm is attached to the top of the spindle with a set screw (see attached as I'm sure my terminology is incorrect).
While using the tractor these set screws continue to loosen and the wheels will begin to wobble. I jump off, tighten them and use the tractor for 15 - 20 minutes until they loosen again.
I've replaced the set screws and used LocTite, but they keep coming loose.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Steering Arm Set Screw Keeps Coming Loose

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Do you have the jam nuts on the set screws? I expect the reason for getting loose is the arms and spindles are warn. Should be a tight fit before the set screws are tightened.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Are you using the original set screw with the long point? there is a point on the original screw that sometimes breaks off, and people replace it with a standard set screw not realizing part of it is still in the spindle.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:41 am

Ahhhh.....no point on the set screws.
Where can I get such a critter?

Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:48 am

vwfish wrote:Ahhhh.....no point on the set screws.
Where can I get such a critter?

TM Tractor(forum sponsor) has them. They come in a fine and a coarse thread. Check your steering arm to see which one you have

Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Are you using the original set screw with the long point? there is a point on the original screw that sometimes breaks off, and people replace it with a standard set screw not realizing part of it is still in the spindle.
Remove the arm from the spindle. Polish up the spindle opposite the screw hole. You will probably find the tip of the pointed screw still in the spindle.

Check first to see if the pointed screw is still screwed into the threads. In this case you will have to figure out how to unscrew the tip.

If not, use a punch to tap out the tip.