This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No engine serial number

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: No engine serial number

Postby brewzalot » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:49 pm

My first picture- hope it worked.

This was taken leaning over the engine, looking straight down at the first stud (from the front) that holds the exhaust manifold on. The number ( Z 577 ) is stamped right above that stud on the top "ledge" if you will .

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:16 am

I'm sorry to say that I am not sure what that means. I will record it within the database and see if others have the same information in the future.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:00 pm

This is pure speculation. Since we know it is a replacement block, the Z 577 was probably put there by whoever installed that block. It may be to ID it as one he worked on or might be a job number. Note a slightly bigger space between the 5 and the 77. He may have date coded May '77 (reasonable for a '73 casting). If it was put there at installation time, we will probably never know what it meant.

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:06 pm

WOW- I feel honored to have stumped a couple of pros!!!

This is actually on a 1951 U1 power unit ( as determined by Raymond) installed in my 1961 cub.

I'm sure its something along the lines of what Jim suggests- just a means of keeping track of something, possibly a dealer or mechanic and not IH. We may never know but I would be curious if anyone else has a number there? Especially the engines that were power units perhaps?

Return to “Farmall Cub”