Re: Options for a Tired Cub

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:00 pm

The engine in the classified was rebuilt by Art Chester. You can be assured it was done correctly and you'll have as close to a new engine as can be had. In fact, since it's from a 154 it will have a little higher horsepower. No core charge.

Bob

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:EJP, is that rebuild guy still alive?? I would guess the parts cost close to that, it sure adds up quick, especially these days.
As of about 4 months ago when Scrivet and I picked up an H head from him yes. He is well past retirement age, and is training a younger man to take over the business. People around here do not usually charge near as high prices as closer to the cities.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:08 pm

You might try Hamilton Bob for an engine. He is a advertiser on this web page

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:09 pm

John, If it were my Cub and I was looking for a rebuilt engine I would be dropping a PM to Art right now for that engine he has. If you are in no hurry to get it, perhaps a Cub express from the east coast to Florida and up to the Buckeye state would work in February.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:58 am

JBall,
Hengy wrote:I'd love to get together again sometime and share a beer and possibly lay hands on "Fred" sometime...
Hengy wrote:John, one other place to look is at the governor control system. Any slop in that system will also result in a lack of power because the engine won't "spool up" like it used to when the governor calls for it

Hengy may be on to something. I am literally just down the road from you in Ravenna and Hengy is willing to come up from Pittsburgh. If you like, maybe we and others that are nearby could do a mini-fest and perhaps figure out what's going on with Fred.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:The engine in the classified was rebuilt by Art Chester. You can be assured it was done correctly and you'll have as close to a new engine as can be had. In fact, since it's from a 154 it will have a little higher horsepower. No core charge.

Bob

I'm really sorry if my reply seemed as though I was doubting the specific classified ad by ArtC. I didn't even know that it was there. My post was a general comment about buying a used engine without the disclaimer of "rebuilt" such as in Art's ad.

Sorry for any confusion.

As to a Mini Fest... I'm up for it any time!!!

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:07 pm

I took inventory today of what Fred probably needs to get better performance. Here's the list:
Replace leaking rear seal
Fix leaking carb
Tune up - plugs, points, cap ,rotor and wires
Valve adjustment
Governor adjustment

Mike & Ray: a mini fest sounds like a great idea.

Clark: have I met you before at red power or at George Willer's house?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:16 pm

If you get one from Art, I guarantee it will be as is should. No flies on an engine from him.