Mccormick Deering sickle sharpening stone

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Acquired as is. Never used and got broken somehow. Any suggestions on an adhesive for this fix? I'd hate to toss it

Re: Mccormick Deering sickle sharpening stone

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:12 pm

I would be scared to use it after "gluing" it back together. I would also be scared of having it "just for display" on a grinder. Someone, years from now is going to try to use it with that "brand new stone". You'll be long gone but little Bobby is gonna have a chunk of grinder stone sticking out of his forehead. Take a hammer to the small piece and set the stone on the shelf flat side down to collect dust. Never have to worry about it rolling away.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks Scrivet. This is used in a hand crank sharpener. Not much velocity at all. In fact it may never get used

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Do the two pieces fit together well? It seems like you'd want something thin enough not to interfere with the mating pieces, yet would have some substance to create the bond. I'd probably try just super glue or a thin epoxy. I think a JB Weld or something like that would be too thick and would mess up the shape.

How is this thing attached to the hand grinder? How is it used? I have a sickle mower I'd like to get going sometime too.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Dennis here's a pic of mine. These were used on the sickle mowers with the iron wheels. You would mount the sharpener on the wheel to use. I have a piece of old iron wheel welded to a bracket that I mount on the cub in the square hole where the universal frame mounts.
The broken piece fits perfectly so it would need to be a rather thin adhesive

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Thomas , just a guess here , but what about using epoxy anchoring cement such as used for anchoring bolts etc in concrete ....

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:47 pm

tmays wrote:These were used on the sickle mowers with the iron wheels.

You should be able to use them on the Cub 22 mower also.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:48 pm

tmays wrote:Thanks Scrivet. This is used in a hand crank sharpener. Not much velocity at all. In fact it may never get used
It may never get used by you, but what about 50, 75, 100 years from now? I understand it's a hand crank grinder but disagree on velocity. Wouldn't make much difference in my mind the damage that chunk could make coming off at 40 rpm's or 140 rpm's or somebody removing it to use on an electric grinder. Plus there's getting a 4.5' (or more) knife suddenly jerked around WHEN that chunk comes loose.

My opinion/recommendation is to NOT put Humpty Dumpty back together.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Barnyard wrote:
tmays wrote:These were used on the sickle mowers with the iron wheels.

You should be able to use them on the Cub 22 mower also.

Thanks Bill, I've already used it on mine :-)

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:15 am

mine is broken also ‚ÄďAnybody got a stone they will sell ??