Galvanized Rims

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:24 pm

As part of the restoration of Rex '48. Princess '55 received the rims from Rex '48. I got to looking at the 1955 rims today, finding that the only rust is on the bolt brackets that hold it to the hub. I took some 320 grit paper (cause it was laying around) and easily removed a light powdery - talc colored residue from the rims. They shine now like new where they've been sanded.

So here's the question. Do you feel I can just get this powder off and clear coat the rims, rather than spraying them gray? I know, I know I vowed no more paint questions :D :D - But I could not help myself....

Thanks all, Ken

Re: Galvanized Rims

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:43 pm

i would use some self etching primer first, dont think clear would adhere to bare metal.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:03 pm

When I redid my '53 I had the rims sandblasted (the only part I didn't prepare myself) because I had always heard that paint wouldn't adhere to galvanize. I don't know if that is true or not but I didn't want to find out the hard way. I've seen cold galvanizing spray in a rattle can if that might be a help to touch up the previously rusty places.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:19 pm

I've tried the cold galvanized spray cans before. Don't waste your time with it in my opinion. Just looks like gray primer

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:39 pm

I wonder if Zinc Chromate primer would be a good choice before you paint :?: I don't know, but thought I would throw it out there. A staple of aviation finishes for decades.

http://www.colorserver.net/history/hist ... romate.htm

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:11 pm

zinc chromate is a very good primer. i stopped using it when dupont started selling variprime self etching primer. you would still wash the metal with metal prep before using the zinc chromate, the other primer eliminated that step so it was a bit faster to use the dupont primer.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Rob - from this article I can see why the Zinc Chromate primer works. It seems any Alkyd paints and primers react with the zinc. I found the embedded link interesting and a good read. I'll get some photos of the rims and post for your opinions on best approach with these rims.

Ken

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:57 am

Why not get them hot dipped galvanized just like when they were new? I have a friend that checked into it and found it was fairly cheap.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:32 am

Just some food for thought here. My 77 longstripe is in all original paint and decals. Absolutely no evidence of any non-factory paint or touch-up. The rear rims are a very smooth galvanized finish, topped with a coat of what is now a gray looking paint. I'm not sure what color the paint started out as, but it is definitely factory applied. I'll try to get a photo and post to this thread.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 am

ricky racer wrote:Why not get them hot dipped galvanized just like when they were new? I have a friend that checked into it and found it was fairly cheap.

They were not hot dipped originally. It was more of an electroplating process from what I can understand.

I would just spray them with the caseIH silver and be done with it.

Al

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:33 am

Super A wrote:I would just spray them with the caseIH silver and be done with it.

Al

:Dito:

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:03 am

Just a follow-up for the forum.

[urlhttp://ctgalv.com/]This company Connecticut Galvanizing[/url] will Acid Strip the rims and hot dip galvanize (I know that's not original) for $283 minimum charge for up to 700 pounds. I figure I could do a small army of Cub rims and my H rims all in one trip for this minimum charge. The IH Silver is looking better all the time.

Thanks everyone.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:13 am

Here's the photo.

The lighter color is the bare galvanized finish. The darker is the grayish paint. As you can see, the galvanized finish is quite smooth. Today's hot dipped galvanized finish would not be. I'd go with sandblasting and paint.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:16 pm

I wire wheeled the paint off my rims and had them painted; that was ten years ago and they still look great! Just saying :D
farmall cub 005 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:49 pm

I just read this thread again from beginning to end. As usual the myriad of responses please me because it's so diverse, yet it confuses me cause there are so many choices. I'll keep reading and post pics when I am done.

Now here's a related question for you people in the know.

What causes the fine powder on the galvanized rims? It's very, very fine like confectioners sugar, but an off-white yellowish color.

Just curious.