Re: Galvanized Rims

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Here's the photo.

The lighter color is the bare galvanized finish. The darker is the grayish paint. As you can see, the galvanized finish is quite smooth. Today's hot dipped galvanized finish would not be. I'd go with sandblasting and paint.

Don that sure looks more like white than galvanized , What model cub is it on?

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm guessing that zinc from the galvanizing oxidizes to form zinc oxide, which is a whitish powder.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:34 pm

RustyKnuckles wrote:I'm guessing that zinc from the galvanizing oxidizes to form zinc oxide, which is a whitish powder.

Since zinc sulfate is used as a white pigment in paints, I have to agree with that. Over the years it could give a whitish tint.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Boss Hog wrote:
Don McCombs wrote:Here's the photo.

The lighter color is the bare galvanized finish. The darker is the grayish paint. As you can see, the galvanized finish is quite smooth. Today's hot dipped galvanized finish would not be. I'd go with sandblasting and paint.

Don that sure looks more like white than galvanized , What model cub is it on?

David, it's definitely galvanized, covered with gray paint. The photo doesn't really do it justice. That rim is on my 77 Cub.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Some 5 or so years ago, I ran around the wheels with a wire brush, and then sprayed them with a shiny chrome/aluminum color from a can. Could have been high temperature paint used on the exhaust, but whatever it was it stuck, and it looks nice. I'd try a section and see if you like it before committing to it...or anything else.