Fast hitch diagonal link?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Is the fast hitch diagonal link needed? What does it do? I'm guessing keeping everything straight while using the hitch. Mine is missing. I hooked up a set of discs and noticed they'd wander if the hitch was dropped to low... is the diagonal link supposed to stop/limit that?

Anyone know of a Diagonal link near VT (and a FH plow) for sale?

Re: Fast hitch diagonal link?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:36 pm

The diagonal link is needed for some implements, not needed for others. You have discovered that it is needed for your disc, and will be needed for the plow that you want to buy. It is also needed for pulling a trailer with a fast hitch equipped Cub. Keep an eye on eBay. Although there is not one there now, I see them frequently. You might also check with JP Tractor Salvage.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:55 pm

I see them occasionally for sale on eBay. The manual indicates that when using the plow the lock bolt on diagonal link is loosened so that the plow can swing side to side. I am not sure if you would have too much swing for plowing without any diagonal link. You may want to look at page 20 of the 1957 Cub operator's manual.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Xperimental wrote:The manual indicates that when using the plow the lock bolt on diagonal link is loosened so that the plow can swing side to side. I am not sure if you would have too much swing for plowing without any diagonal link.

You would, at least with some situations or some implements. Even when the lock bolt is loose to allow movement, it limits the amount the hitch can swing. It is probably more critical on a Farmall than a Lo-Boy due to the relative positions of the rear tires.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:14 pm

"You have discovered that it is needed for your disc..." Yeah, and don't turn with them down without the link! :shock:

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:39 am

The only application I am sure does not use the link is a Mott flail mower on a standard Cub. The 'swing' is limited by chains to the finals.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:55 am

I have a few fast hitches that I am putting together for my cubs and may have an extra diagonal link. It would take me a couple of days to get things straighten out to see what I have. Send me a PM if you still need one.

Kirk

Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:28 am

Kirk,

I sent you a PM.

Thanks, Jeff

quote="Kirk-NJ"]I have a few fast hitches that I am putting together for my cubs and may have an extra diagonal link. It would take me a couple of days to get things straighten out to see what I have. Send me a PM if you still need one.

Kirk[/quote]