193 plow and debris

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:01 am

Previously I've used a 152 disk plow on my garden. This summer I picked up a 193 with coulter and want to try it. I generally have a lot of debris, corn stalks, leaves, grass...The 152 seems to cut through it and turn it under okay. My question is will the 193 do the same, or do I need to prepare the surface trash in some fashion?

Thanks,

Todd

Re: 193 plow and debris

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:25 am

I recently started using a disk plow. I find it does a better job, turning over debris, than a moldboard. You need to use a disk harrow, prior to plowing debris, with the 193. Breaking it up, helps it get turned over, without clogging the plow.
Ed

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:16 pm

When we used to plow at the Cheesy Cubfest, Brian's land was always planted with corn for the deer and there were still standing corn stalks in the spring. Mark B (BirdDog) would usually cut those down with a sickle mower and then we would go at it. Despite using a coulter on all of our plows, they would get just clogged up terribly with the stalks.

ToddW had a 152 plow on his cub, and he jus purred happily along with no regard for the trash on the field... Conclusion: 152 handles trash much better, or at least it did on that plot of ground...

Mike

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:45 pm

I always use the woods 42 mower on the corn patch and garden before I use the 193. This shreds is small enough and it rolls it over covering 99% of it. The 152 does a good job, but with a little more seat time my 193 works as well.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi Andy. I remember a very nice plow day with you a couple of years back and watching the moldboards versus my disc plow. I picked up a very nice 193 to try. I did mow the corn stalks down today with the flail mower so maybe that will do the trick. Anyhow, it will be a fun try. I need 2 plows like I need...well, most of this stuff...

Todd

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:41 am

TJG wrote:Hi Andy. I remember a very nice plow day with you a couple of years back and watching the moldboards versus my disc plow. I picked up a very nice 193 to try. I did mow the corn stalks down today with the flail mower so maybe that will do the trick. Anyhow, it will be a fun try. I need 2 plows like I need...well, most of this stuff...

Todd

What does need have to do with it? :spinning:

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Todd,

I plowed this afternoon in one of those garden plots you helped me break a few years back. They didn't have time to mow it, so I was turning things over that were 3 to 4 feet high. A couple times I had to unclog the plow, amazing what they will pull around; other than that it did a great job of covering things up, even the sunflowers disappeared.
I should have another plow day, but the gardeners are still busy cleaning out the irrigation, fencing, and some crops out of my way. It is near impossible to set a date so you can come, it is always a phone call out of the blue saying the gardens are ready for me.