plowing / asphalt

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:03 am

I had my driveway paved this year. I was wondering what damage the chains on my cub may cause to the pavement. I know that pror to the paving the cub was worthless without the chains.

Re: plowing / asphalt

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:13 am

Chains are not very friendly to asphalt. It would be best to remove them.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:55 am

Trade them for wheel weights.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:27 am

I have loaded tires and weights. Threw a chain once and couldn't move it, stuck good until I put chain back on.
Maybe on the asphalt will be different.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:27 pm

Does it snow in Plattsburg.. :lol: :lol: ( born and raised in the Adirondacks).... :lol: Dave

Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:58 pm

I've been using chains since 2005-2006 winter on Ag Tires. The chains do fall into the lugs more than I would like however I get plenty of grip on the pavement. As far as damage to the asphalt, I have a couple of small digs here and there but nothing all that bad. If you had chains with studs welded on them like Tucker has up in Vermont, sure, you'd grind the pavement just driving on it.

...my $.02
Peter

Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:26 pm

I wouldn't say worthless, just handicapped.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:26 am

I stopped using the chains because they left marks on the asphalt that SWMBO didn't like. They didn't tear up the asphalt, just left marks.

However, I really haven't noticed a difference in traction without them. I have turfs and one set of wheel weights.