Angle Drive Condition?

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:47 pm

Sound like the bearing is going out? Your thoughts before I return this to ebayer I got it from. I feel no play in the wheel and I filled with gear oil before trying. Thanks

Re: Angle Drive Condition?

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:20 pm

That there is an Easter pulley out of season; I'd send her back and never bid on purple parts again :lol:

It is sad to see what some people sell on E-bay.
Dave

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:41 pm

It has been several years since I used my angle drive, but I did not hear anything that alarmed me.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:05 pm

I have always paid close attention to Bus drivers comments. If it sounds good to him, I bet it is fine then. Still, the value goes up with perception; paint it lol
Dave

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:15 am

tmays wrote:Sound like the bearing is going out? Your thoughts before I return this to ebayer I got it from. I feel no play in the wheel and I filled with gear oil before trying. Thanks

You might request someone else on this forum to take a video of their belt pulley in operation, so you can compare. I've never heard one run before, but it sounded like something was intermittingly scraping or rubbing. A comparison to another running pulley may confirm your suspicions or put them to rest.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:35 am

Considering all the interconnecting parts in the driveline with clearances, some noise is to be expected. For example, the drive sleeve for the PTO shaft from the transmission shaft, the gearbox sleeve on the PTO shaft, the angle gears in the gearbox and the pulley on the gearbox output shaft. When running under load, those clearances are closed. It may run quieter with load. Running without load, as in the presented video, the clearances alternately close and open.
That drive may fail very soon. But nothing I heard ( with my badly deteriorated hearing) leads me to such a conclusion.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:02 am

It might be a little louder than mine, but not much. I filled mine full of Lucas gear oil and it made a huge difference...

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:27 am

It should be pretty quiet. The bearings and seals will cost you over $50.