This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mott D9

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C
Circle of Safety: Y

Mott D9

Postby Smokeycub » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:37 am

I got a new to me Mott mower, thought I'd share some pic's. I'm using the PTO drive pulley from my Woods mower and it's a touch small. Rudi's manual show it should be an 8" drive pulley. It seems to me that it runs a bit slow but I have nothing to compare it to. According to my Woods dealer the 3493 pulley is about 6 1/2" and the Woods manual shows a 6.1", which means my Mott is running roughly 20% slow. It cuts well in shorter grass and doesn't use much of the Cub's power. When I get into taller stuff like 12 to 15" and taller weeds and grass it seems to struggle a bit, especially when the grass wraps around the mowers main shaft and binds on the side of the mower. How sharp should the flails be? The flails have and edge but not "Knife" sharp. Is there some way to keep the taller grass from wrapping around the shaft? I was thinking of attaching a deflector/guide/spacer on the sides to keep the grass in line with the flails which would hopefully greatly reduce the grass jambing up on the sides of the mower shaft. If it weren't for that it'd be a super mower for a field. As it is, no fun at all. I have read where others have had similar problems, any thoughts?

get-attachment.jpg
get-attachment.jpg (38.89 KiB) Viewed 1566 times

get-attachment2.jpg
get-attachment2.jpg (38.58 KiB) Viewed 1566 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (55.36 KiB) Viewed 1566 times

untitled1.png
untitled1.png (168.95 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Mott D9

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:22 am

Your experience with the Mott is similar to mine. Pretty decent lawn mower. Poor mower for trimming pasture, tall stringy tough grass.

I haven't found a solution to the described problems, other than use a rotary mower and a bigger tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:17 pm

Original Mott pulley is 8 inch, which puts the Mott shaft turning about 2000 rpm at full throttle. The knives cut better if sharp, but do not try to get pocket knife sharp, more on the order of a dull steak knife. Put a leather glove on one hand and hold a 4 1/2 inch or 4 inch grinder in the other to sharpen the knives. You will soon figure out the reason for the glove. Remember, they cut when moving toward the roller at the bottom of the swing, so that is the only side you need to sharpen. The best way to handle tall stringy grass, such as field rescue is to raise the mower up about 6 inches or so and go over it once to top the plants, then let it back down some and mow it again. Of course if you intend to do a lot of mowing like that, Eugene's suggestion of a bigger tractor and mower may be better.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Mott and other flail mowers are somewhere between a bush hog and a finish mower. Would rather have either of those two than a flail. JMHO, but I'm biased, spent way too many hours pulling them behind a 2110 Ford. BTW, nice looking unit Smokycub.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:10 am

Hi Ray,
Nice looking flail mower!
Did you see the post where John-Q-cub owner flailed down his Okra crops?
I also recall you mentioning that your governor did not kick in much in 1rst gear (while finish mowing). I know little about flail mowers but have thought about purchasing one in the past. Perhaps a bigger pulley, sharper blades and double passes might give you more enjoyable seat time? Does one operate a flail mower in second gear?
Dave
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:08 am

Groove Critter wrote:Perhaps a bigger pulley. Does one operate a flail mower in second gear?
You can mow in 1st or 2nd gear, wide open throttle. Make a partial swath cut, raise the deck, or both. Just depends on conditions.

Smaller drive pulley on cutter bar to make it revolve faster.

The Mott is my main mower for mowing frequently cut areas. My initial response to Smokeycub's post were also my observations.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:41 am

Eugene, another good idea my friend. Ray can use a bigger pto pulley, smaller drive pulley and work it from both angles.
By the way Ray, I have a few of the parts needed for a governor rebuild if you ever do rebuild the governor; and I am not implying that you should. I just had to order some odd parts that rarely come in handy ( a couple years ago). Since you are close, I can just give you a set if you need them.
Dave
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Do not get to carried away with speeding up the mower shaft. With the 8 inch pto pulley and the original 6 1/4? mower pulley the mower shaft spins at 2000 rpm. Much faster than that and the shaft tends to vibrate.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I got the mower from a forum member, he had painted it up and had the "mechanicals" done. I drove to New England to get it a few weeks ago (just missed the Cub Express coming back from Cecil's). We had a nice visit, spent several hours chatting about the Cubs, and met a few other forum members there as well. It was a good couple of days on the road with my buddy too.
Groove Critter wrote:I also recall you mentioning that your governor did not kick in much in 1rst gear (while finish mowing). I know little about flail mowers but have thought about purchasing one in the past. Perhaps a bigger pulley, sharper blades and double passes might give you more enjoyable seat time? Does one operate a flail mower in second gear?

Thanks for the offer Dave, I'm curious as to what parts you have. My governor doesn't come into play in first gear usually because it doesn't seem to need to. It's much more responsive In second gear, or when running the Woods 59. The governor seems to work pretty well generally, if anything it's maybe a touch slow kicking in (i.e. doesn't speed up quite soon enough), I attribute that to some wear in the throttle linkage. It goes right back to the original rpm's pretty well. I can mow in second gear with the Mott in the yard (grass less than 6"tall) without a problem but it seems to be tearing the grass rather than cutting it, I believe because it's not turning fast enough. I'll see if the cut improves when I get an 8" drive pulley.

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: Put a leather glove on one hand and hold a 4 1/2 inch or 4 inch grinder in the other to sharpen the knives. You will soon figure out the reason for the glove. Remember, they cut when moving toward the roller at the bottom of the swing, so that is the only side you need to sharpen. The best way to handle tall stringy grass, such as field rescue is to raise the mower up about 6 inches or so and go over it once to top the plants, then let it back down some and mow it again.

Thanks for the heads up John. I appreciate the sentiment :) Been there - done that! You would think one would wise up quickly after one has been "hit" more than a few times with handheld grinders and wire wheels. :oops:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: With the 8 inch pto pulley and the original 6 1/4? mower pulley the mower shaft spins at 2000 rpm. Much faster than that and the shaft tends to vibrate

I read in the Mott manual that they offered an overdrive pulley for cutting the yard, they indicated caution and later discontinued that pulley because people would use it in the fields too causing the mower to fail. I only plan to get the recommended 8" drive pulley.
danovercash wrote:Mott and other flail mowers are somewhere between a bush hog and a finish mower. Would rather have either of those two than a flail. JMHO, but I'm biased, spent way too many hours pulling them behind a 2110 Ford. BTW, nice looking unit Smokycub

Thanks Danover, As of now the Woods does a better job on the yard. Sounds like you spent more than your fair share of time cleaning out grass and weeds on a flail!
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:10 am

Mowed grass for a school system. We used flails because they were safer around kids. Got enough experience to be able tell what kind of ball (golf, tennis, baseball, softball, basketball) I ran over and hit. We got a lot more done faster with a Woods. Flails were good for thatch removal with special knives.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:39 am

I have owned a Mott for around 25 years and have also owned a 42 inch woods for a couple years in addition to using a 59 inch Woods for 2 years while working at locla hospital many years ago, and all three have their uses. My preference is a small riding mower (presently ZTR) to use in the front yard and around the house and trees, and the flail for the 1 1/2 acre or so around the garden and away from the house. The flail does not give quite as nice and even a cut as a rotary, but does come close if the knives are sharp and you set the roller so the mower is at it lowest point which is about a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch height. The great thing is you can raise it up and mow rough areas like along the roadway, or a grown up field and it is still level. My personal experience has been that a flail requires less power for the size cut, so you save a little gass with it, though that difference is small.

Return to “Farmall Cub”