This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

FCub Rockshaft Compatibility

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

FCub Rockshaft Compatibility

Postby Ironlegs » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:35 am

I have a 1958 Fcub with under-slung exhaust, deluxe seat and hydraulics. The tractor is used for mowing with a Danco C-2 mower during the summer months. I would like to add a rockshaft/rear lift assembly but recognize the deluxe seat is in the way. Do you know if a rockshaft lift was ever made for my setup without replacing the deluxe seat? I can probably cobble together a custom design but would like to find a factory setup if they exist.
Ironlegs John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Re: FCub Rockshaft Compatibility

Postby gitractorman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 am

Actually, there was only one rear rockshaft made for the Cubs, and it will work with your delux seat. The easiest way to utilize both is to mount the rockshaft to the tractor, then mount the seat frame down on top of the rockshaft mount, then use washers to space up the seat frame on the right side. I did one where I used a piece of 1/2" thick steel bar, drilled the two seat mounting holes out, and used it as a spacer, but honestly, you couldn't tell the difference between that one and the one with washers unless you looked REALLY close. Throw some red paint on them and they just look like part of the tractor.

Also, It's funny, I actually know where McKean, PA is, and have a project there that I visit regularly. You're about 2-hours south of me. Beautiful country! Last time I was at the site, a black bear ran (woddled) across the road in front of me.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub

Postby Ironlegs » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:57 am

Thanks for the tips/direction on rockshafts with deluxe seats. I bought the tractor about 2-1/2 years ago thinking I could put $500 in parts and service in the unit and have a working (mowing) unit. I own and use a 1951 Super A for nearly twenty years and have first-hand experience with restoration work. The idea was to have a second tractor that my young son could learn on and use...I get his full attention when it's time to run the tractors. Anyway, I ended up putting about $2500 into a full restoration on the FCub...it's factory correct and fully capable now but absent the rear lift (rockshaft) unit that would be so useful for jobs on our property. Without the rear lift, the Cub is purely a mowing unit for summer months.

I have been watching for a Cub rockshaft but am taken aback some at the prices for these. It's good to know that it will fit my setup with only some seat shimming. Thank you for the info.

Last night, the McKean area received its first snowfall of the season...about 1-1/2 inches. We average about fifty percent more snow than is reported at the Erie Airport, the official measuring/reporting station for the region. Last winter was quite easy at about 80 McKean inches. A few winters ago, the area got something like 150 inches. I use the Super A to clear my driveway and apron of snow as well as a mowing (Woods 59L) tractor in the summer. It sure is nice to have adequate equipment when it's needed!

I also am a bee-keeper. You mention black bears...one took out my three hives two years ago during late November. The area is losing what's left of its wild/natural areas and big game is pushed into the suburban areas. So far this fall, I know of four deer killed in car crashes within a mile of my place. Cars get about two-thirds of the deer here.
Ironlegs John

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:21 am

Ironlegs wrote:I have been watching for a Cub rockshaft but am taken aback some at the prices for these. It's good to know that it will fit my setup with only some seat shimming. Thank you for the info.

When you find one, make sure the bushings aren't all worn out.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 am

Here's our snowfall record since 1940. Doesn't make much of an argument for global warming, does it? :D

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”