This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel line material and filter question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97000
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.
Circle of Safety: Y

Fuel line material and filter question

Postby Redcub » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:44 pm

I have just received my carb back from being rebuilt by the good hands of one of our members ( Nice Job Sir! ). My plan is to have the tank completely cleaned out, sediment bowl gasket replaced, and install a new fuel line. I want be make sure everything is either new, rebuilt, super clean, and no gas leaks.

My question is:
#1Hose. Why don't Cubbers use modern "rubber" ( or insert other plastic chemical name here ) hose? Is it a looks/original equipment issue? I hear that copper will work harden and crack after some time in use? Is that the case with the Cub? How do you feel about braided SST/rubber? Is vapor lock/percolation an issue during hot weather? Wondering why I should stick with steel.

#2 in line filter. I seem to recall that somebody tried to use a lawnmower in-line disposable filter on their Cub. The response was that it would restrict fuel flow unless a larger ( automotive type ) diameter filter was used. Do you guys feel that the sediment bowl and carb inlet screen is enough? ( Yes, I know your Cub has been running for 60+ years just fine. :mrgreen: ) Not all Cubs are in a sterile trailer princess environment, and I just want to keep my carb working good.

Tell me what you would do. I'd like to do the braided SST so it matches my tin foil hat and faraday cage wallet ( just kidding )
Next time you are out here in the Pacific NW see us at
The Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks Ore, along Interstate-5 just North of Salem
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Fuel line material and filter question

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:54 pm

1. I use the neoprene fuel line and a gravity feed in line fuel filter. I also replaced the sediment bowl with a ball valve. System has been in use for 15 years. Only had to replace the fuel filter once. The ball valve is a positive shut off. No fuel leaks. However, some folks think the neoprene fuel line presents a fire hazard.

2. The original sediment bowl and shut off system worked for 60 years. It's really your choice.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:02 pm

You'll get a lot of opinions here so I might as well chime in too. I chose to go with a steel line because it is what was originally used and won't deteriorate like I've see rubber do an won't crack like a copper one will. Seemed like the best choice to me. Bottom line is, it's your tractor, do what you want.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Short version of why not to use a "rubber" fuel hose is increased danger of fire. Rubber dries out, cracks, leaks right by the exhaust manifold. Or you could snag a branch and damage/pull lose the hose. Then with either case you add fuel to the fire (sorry couldn't help myself) until your gas tank runs empty through the gravity flow, which obviously can prolong and intensify the burn for quite some time. Steel is much more robust and less likely to fail or get damaged.

Fuel filter needs to be for gravity flow system not for something with a fuel pump.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:21 pm

If you're replacing the gas line, TM Tractor sells both versions prebent. Unless there is something visibly wrong with the existing steel line, you probably don't need a new one. Remember that the threads at both ends are 1/2-20 and not pipe thread. If two screens don't keep the stuff out of the carb, I'm not sure that a third will either.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ricky racer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Bob McCarty wrote: Remember that the threads at both ends are 1/2-20 and not pipe thread. Bob

Good point Bob. A 5/16" brake line is perfect for replacement. It has the correct fittings on both ends and can easily be bent to fit.

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:38 pm

ricky racer wrote:
Bob McCarty wrote: Remember that the threads at both ends are 1/2-20 and not pipe thread. Bob
Good point Bob. A 5/16" brake line is perfect for replacement. It has the correct fittings on both ends and can easily be bent to fit.

I cut the flange off the brake line and use ferrules with the supplied nuts. Will it work just screwing in the nut?

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ricky racer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:53 pm

I used brass ferrules with the supplied nuts just like you. Worked great.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97000
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.

Postby Redcub » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Brake lines? Didn't know that, thanks for the tip.
Next time you are out here in the Pacific NW see us at
The Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks Ore, along Interstate-5 just North of Salem
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Redcub wrote:Brake lines? Didn't know that, thanks for the tip.

Get a 20" length of 5/16" brake line from your local parts house with 1/2" x 20 threads on the fittings and also get two 5/16 ferrules to fit the line. Cut the flared ends off the line and remove, but keep, the fittings. Form the line to fit from your carb to the sediment bowl (you may have to cut off a little excess on the brake line). Once the line is formed to fit, reinstall the fittings and slide the ferrules on each end of the line. Install the assembly to the Cub. Make sure you slide the line into the carb and sediment bowl all the way before tightening. Do not over tighten! Remember, the carb and sediment bowl are made from soft metal and their threads can be easily stripped. I use an old fitting to seat the ferrules before installing on the tractor.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 pm

Installing the new fuel line into the carburetor fuel inlet before bolting the carb to the manifold will help to lessen the possibility of stripped threads.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

RustyKnuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01073

Postby RustyKnuckles » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:50 pm

I tried the 5/16 fuel line method, but had a hard time getting a rubber fuel line to seal around the stub tube at the carburetor fuel inlet. So I bought a nylon 5/16" barbed fitting. (Also available in brass, but I picked the nylon version) The threaded end was 1/4 male pipe thread, but this is nicely rethreaded to 1/2-20 with a die. A small O-ring in the carb fuel inlet, and some teflon tape around the newly rethreaded fitting, and everything seals nicely.

I'm not sure I'm persuaded by arguments re fire danger from rubber hoses. Most modern outdoor power equipment uses such rubber hoses, and it is not viewed as any particular danger. In my view, only reason for the steel fuel line is for doing a historic restoration as opposed to a working one.
Jay Smith

1953 Cub, acquired fall 2013. Runs much better thanks to tuneup by Art Chester!
Next, replacement of old parts (radiator, seals, etc.) + painting.

Plus 3 JD garden tractors (425,318,140)
& two Buick Roadmaster station wagons

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:36 am

Jay,
I've really got to disagree with you on the rubber fuel line on new equipment. I work on and sell all types of new power equipment, and one HUGE differeince is that in ANY new engine, the fuel lines come in from the back, and the exhaust is in the front of the engine. The two are NEVER within about 6-inches of each other and the fuel line is never run near any of the hot parts of the engine. Often the fuel line is run on the outside of protective sheet metal or guards. On the Cub, your fuel line runs within about an inch of the bare exhaust pipe and manifold, which regularly reaches temps over 200-degrees F. Also, if you've ever run your tractor hard or for a long period of time like mowing, then put your hand on the bell housing part of the torque tube, just behind the engine block and under the fuel line, it will easily burn your hand. same with the hydraulic lines going from the pump to the touch control block. That fuel line runs right by some pretty hot parts, and yes, I've seen melted and scorched rubber fuel lines on a Cub right in the areas I've mentioned. It's the very first thing I replace on any Cub that I get, whether it's mine or not, but I'm pretty picky about things. They're easy to do if you take your time, and probably cost about the same as putting on a rubber fuel line, less than $10.00 anyway. Cheap insurance!

Regardless, it's your machine, do whatever you want to it.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

JRICK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29325
Skype Name: JRICK
Tractors Owned: 1940 Allis Chalmers WC
1949 Farmall Cub "Haydee Bug"
1960 Massey Ferguson Diesel Deluxe
1950 Allis Chalmers "B"
1980 Power King Model 1616
1991 400A Belarus
1952 Massey Harris Pony

Postby JRICK » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:59 pm

All of this information is good advise. I just happen to have the tag off of the steel brake line that I purchased at O'Rielly's two years ago.The number is PA-520. I did cut the steel line and inserted a lawnmower cutoff.This is on a verticle exhaust cub. I was looking today at my Cub with the underslung exhaust and it has what looks like a steel line, but is very close to the exhaust pipe.I'm going to rethink that one,I don't like even the steel line that close to the exhaust pipe!

Return to “Farmall Cub”