This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub not Starting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub not Starting

Postby bookman51 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:13 pm

I started my 1955 Cub a week ago and drove it around a bit. I parked in my shop and a couple of days ago I went out to start it and.....nothing. It does not turn over at all. There battery appears charged up and it looks like there is electricity getting to the starter (if I checked everything okay). I checked the grounds, etc. and appears okay (but I have been fooled on this before).

In checking my records, my battery is not quite two years old, and I had the starter worked on in February 2012...to the tune of $120.78.

Are there somethings I can do to trouble shoot the starter? I have never torn into a starter.... Or should I go back to the folks that reparied the starter almost two years ago and say....ummm seems like it should last more than two years. :lost:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Cub not Starting

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:38 pm

If you have a voltmeter, check for voltage at the starter when you pull the starter rod. If voltage goes away when you pull the rod, look for a bad connection or ground back toward the battery. If voltage does not go away, you may have a starter switch or starter problem, or starter may be locked into the ring gear. Try turning engine with a crank. If engine is stuck loosen starter bolts and turn it. Once free try to start. If no crank put it in 3rd gear and try rocking the rear wheels to see if fan turns.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

vern b
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16354
Skype Name: vernb
Tractors Owned: 1950 cub

Postby vern b » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Try the start switch the contacts may be worn and not makeing contact.

I'm a new b myself but have found that was the case of mine.

Vern B
YOU CAN DO IT,YOU CAN DO IT,IF YOU PUT YOUR MINE TO IT ! :)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Yup. On John's suggestions. I would start by cleaning up the battery and cable terminals.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:18 pm

If I touch a jumper cable from the negative post of the battery to the battery stating post, should the battery turn over? It does not.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:55 am

Just touching the bolt on the starter where the battery cable connects won't do anything unless you pull the starter rod. Pulling the starter rod pushes the button in on the starter saddle switch which makes contact between the bolt and the nub under the saddle switch. This is what Vern is talking about in his reply. It's easy to take the switch off to check or replace it, two screws, one on each side of the saddle. There are two faces of the moving part, one that hits the underside of the bolt and the other hits the nub when you pull the starter rod.

Also one simple thing, make sure you are pulling the starter rod hard enough. I have one cub that has a very good antistart feature. When you pull the rod normally, nothing, nada, zip! You have to give it a little extra tug at the very end of it's travel to get it to start.

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:42 am

I thought I did pull the starter rod, but maybe not. It could be that it just needs that extra tug....or a new saddle switch. I don't recall if it is a different starter switch for the cub than for bigger Farmalls. If they are the same, I might have an extra in the shop.

Thanks

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:50 am

bookman51 wrote:I don't recall if it is a different starter switch for the cub than for bigger Farmalls. If they are the same, I might have an extra in the shop.

The same.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:00 am

Don, thanks, I will give it a try later this morning. -2 degrees here now. Fortunately, the tractor is inside, but it will take awhile to warm up the shop.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:28 am

If you have lights and they work as they should then its not the battery. If you take the the starter switch apart to clean might be a good idea to lube moving parts with a dry non-conductive lubricant. My starter rod is hard to pull and that helped a lot. I used PTFE (Teflon)
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:11 am

Don McCombs wrote:
bookman51 wrote:I don't recall if it is a different starter switch for the cub than for bigger Farmalls. If they are the same, I might have an extra in the shop.

The same.
Depends on what bigger Farmalls you are referring to, most H and M used a LARGE push button to activate the starter.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:23 am

Well, I replaced the push botton and nothing. Now it does draw power when I pull the lever back to engage the push button, but nothing turns. I double checked and the battery is good and I am getting electricity to the starter. I took the starter off and took the band off and peaked inside. I don't see anything unusual, but then I am not sure what I should be looking for.

I checked my records and I had the brushes replaced less than two years ago (February 2012). Don't know if the place is open on Saturdays but I plan on taking the starter back. I probably do not start the Cub more than half a dozen times a year and it sits inside. I suppose there could be some corrison, but it started just a few days ago.

I have a knack for taking something not all that broken and fixing it until it really broken, so I don't think I will tear into the starter.

Thanks for the help and information.

Bookman

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:48 am

Sounds like a weak battery to me but you say it tested good. A 2 year old bad battery would not surprise me.

hurleyjd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75497

Postby hurleyjd » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Take the starter switch off of the starter. Take the cable and touch the end to the nub that is on top of the starter. If the starter turns over then it is the switch. Also if it does not then could be the battery.

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:05 pm

Tried it, got a nice spark when I connected the negative wire to the nub, but nothing moved. I gotta think something internal to the starter.

Thanks

Return to “Farmall Cub”