This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub not Starting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub not Starting

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:51 pm

bookman51 wrote:Tried it, got a nice spark when I connected the negative wire to the nub, but nothing moved. I gotta think something internal to the starter.
Not necessarily so, a spark means nothing. It takes 150 or more amps for the starter to work.

Go back to John Puckett's post and start from there. Make sure the battery is in excellent condition and that all cable connections are clean and polished. You will also need battery cables in excellent condition, without internal corrosion.

Battery condition check. Voltage drop test. Voltage reading across battery terminals. Take 2nd voltage reading while engaging the starter. 6 volt battery should hold in the 4 1/2 volt range while cranking over the engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:59 pm

turn lights on (assuming they work) and pull starter ring. If lights go out you have a battery or wiring problem. If they only dim a little or not at all, you have a starter problem.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:59 pm

If your ground cable is connected to the battery box you may have a ground issue between the box and the tractor. This is a very common problem and many times over looked. If possible ground it to a bolt on the shifter top. also make sure the ground is # 2 cable..
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:01 pm

After all the advice that it probably was the battery or ground, I went back and connected via starter cables the starter to a battery that I knew worked that was on another tractor. The starter turned over. So, I went back and checked the battery on the Cub again. I connected the starter to the battery via starter cables and the starter turned over. Then I took the connector off the negative ground cable and the wires look corroded. I cleaned them up and put a new connector on. Installed the starter and connected up the battery, and the starter turned over. :{_}:

I gotta keep remember than when I hear hoof beats that it is probably horses...not zebras :lol: . I thought I had checked the ground pretty well, but obviously not enough.

Thanks for the help...and patience. :thanx:

Bookman
(horses....not zebras....horses...not zebras....horses...not zebras....horses....not zebras, etc.)

Return to “Farmall Cub”