Re: Cub not Starting

Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:51 pm

bookman51 wrote:Tried it, got a nice spark when I connected the negative wire to the nub, but nothing moved. I gotta think something internal to the starter.
Not necessarily so, a spark means nothing. It takes 150 or more amps for the starter to work.

Go back to John Puckett's post and start from there. Make sure the battery is in excellent condition and that all cable connections are clean and polished. You will also need battery cables in excellent condition, without internal corrosion.

Battery condition check. Voltage drop test. Voltage reading across battery terminals. Take 2nd voltage reading while engaging the starter. 6 volt battery should hold in the 4 1/2 volt range while cranking over the engine.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:59 pm

turn lights on (assuming they work) and pull starter ring. If lights go out you have a battery or wiring problem. If they only dim a little or not at all, you have a starter problem.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:59 pm

If your ground cable is connected to the battery box you may have a ground issue between the box and the tractor. This is a very common problem and many times over looked. If possible ground it to a bolt on the shifter top. also make sure the ground is # 2 cable..

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:01 pm

After all the advice that it probably was the battery or ground, I went back and connected via starter cables the starter to a battery that I knew worked that was on another tractor. The starter turned over. So, I went back and checked the battery on the Cub again. I connected the starter to the battery via starter cables and the starter turned over. Then I took the connector off the negative ground cable and the wires look corroded. I cleaned them up and put a new connector on. Installed the starter and connected up the battery, and the starter turned over. :{_}:

I gotta keep remember than when I hear hoof beats that it is probably horses...not zebras :lol: . I thought I had checked the ground pretty well, but obviously not enough.

Thanks for the help...and patience. :thanx:

Bookman
(horses....not zebras....horses...not zebras....horses...not zebras....horses....not zebras, etc.)