This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

magneto oil seal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: magneto oil seal

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:25 pm

oil coming by the rings would be a safe bet, Mike you are not putting the seal in backwards are you ?
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:30 pm

Boss Hog wrote: Mike you are not putting the seal in backwards are you ?

HAHA... Sorry that it took me so long to reply to this one! No, Boss, I put the seal in the correct way...spring to the oil. I am sure that I am doing something wrong, but I cannot seem to get it to stop leaking. I've kind of become accustomed to that problem and just compensate with a paper towel!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Mon May 12, 2014 9:30 am

Hengy wrote:
Boss Hog wrote: I put the seal in the correct way...spring to the oil. I am sure that I am doing something wrong, but I cannot seem to get it to stop leaking.

I'm on my second seal (Thanks for the quick shipping, TM!) as I tore the rubber ring installing the first one. What do you mean by
"spring to the oil", Mike? Is that the side of the seal that is pressed and crimped?

And to think I just got the play out of my linkages with the JB Weld. More fun.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon May 12, 2014 10:27 am

Posco, on your seal, do you have an open side and a closed side or are both faces closed? My seals were NAPA seals and have an open side where you can see a spring around the inside of the lip. That spring goes towards the oil inside the engine. The closed face goes towards the magneto.

One piece of advice that was not listed here previously is to put a film of grease on the governor mating surface. That will help to lube the rubber surface of the seal while putting it over the governor.
Image Image

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon May 12, 2014 11:09 am

Hengy wrote:Posco, on your seal, do you have an open side and a closed side or are both faces closed? My seals were NAPA seals and have an open side where you can see a spring around the inside of the lip. That spring goes towards the oil inside the engine. The closed face goes towards the magneto.

One piece of advice that was not listed here previously is to put a film of grease on the governor mating surface. That will help to lube the rubber surface of the seal while putting it over the governor.

I don't know if you can make this out or not, Mike, but the pencil is pointing toward a crimp and the pic with my finger in it is a smooth round side. I gather the crimp goes toward the governor? I failed to lubricate the governor itself when I installed the first one and tore the rubber gasket on the inside of the seal. Disappointed that I have to do it again but I'm learning a lot.
This is a National seal with part# 450313.

Adjusted the valves (ye-ha!) this morning and have a new gas tank/hood that I'm getting ready to install once I get finished painting it. Major gains.
Attachments
DSC01583.JPG
DSC01583.JPG (335.73 KiB) Viewed 197 times
DSC01584.JPG
DSC01584.JPG (325.27 KiB) Viewed 197 times

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon May 12, 2014 1:23 pm

Posco,

If you examine your seal you will notice that the rubber seal on the crimped side is slightly open inside the retainer. If you pull back the rubber on this side, you will see the spring that Mike is referring to. This open side with the spring will be installed facing the governor or oil side of the engine.

There seems to be some question as to the seating location versus the depth of the seal. My question that I am hoping someone can address is: should this seal, which is 0.51" in depth, be installed at a seating location of 23/32" or 29/32" (using the extra insert provided with Earl's tool)?
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon May 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Bill V in Md wrote:There seems to be some question as to the seating location versus the depth of the seal. My question that I am hoping someone can address is: should this seal, which is 0.51" in depth, be installed at a seating location of 23/32" or 29/32" (using the extra insert provided with Earl's tool)?

Earl's tool? Can you point me to it? Thanks for the help.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon May 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Posco wrote:Earl's tool? Can you point me to it? Thanks for the help.

Earl Fauble, a forum member, makes a tool specifically to simplify installation of the magneto governor seal. It makes installation much easier and is designed to drive the seal the exact depth required. You can purchase one by sending a PM to "Earl". His tool also includes an extra insert to drive thinner seals approximately 3/16" deeper.
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Tue May 13, 2014 7:10 am

Bill V in Md wrote:
Posco wrote:Earl's tool? Can you point me to it? Thanks for the help.

Earl Fauble, a forum member, makes a tool specifically to simplify installation of the magneto governor seal. It makes installation much easier and is designed to drive the seal the exact depth required. You can purchase one by sending a PM to "Earl". His tool also includes an extra insert to drive thinner seals approximately 3/16" deeper.

Thanks, Bill, I'll look him up. Folks mentioned a spring in the seal but this one doesn't have one. It's a Timken/National seal and the only thing I see is a rubber gasket housed inside the seal. I poked a bit at both sides and there is no evidence of a spring whatsoever.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue May 13, 2014 10:17 am

quote="Posco"]Thanks, Bill, I'll look him up. Folks mentioned a spring in the seal but this one doesn't have one. It's a Timken/National seal and the only thing I see is a rubber gasket housed inside the seal. I poked a bit at both sides and there is no evidence of a spring whatsoever.[/quote]

Posco,
That is odd. I purchased one of those seals and still have in. It is also a National Part #450313. Below is a photo of that seal and the spring, that is barely noticeable.

magneto oil sea_reduced sizel.JPG
magneto oil sea_reduced sizel.JPG (133.49 KiB) Viewed 153 times
[
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Tue May 13, 2014 10:21 am

Bill V in Md wrote:Posco,
That is odd. I purchased one of those seals and still have in. It is also a National Part #450313. Below is a photo of that seal and the spring, that is barely noticeable.

magneto oil sea_reduced sizel.JPG
[

You are absolutely correct, Bill. I noticed it after a bit.

I found an 'Earl' but he has 13 total posts since April 09 for .01 posts per day. I don't know what the odds of catching him here are.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue May 13, 2014 12:26 pm

Earl doesn't post much, but he does frequent the forum...send a PM, and I'm sure that he'll get it after he gets notification on his e-mail that he has a PM...

Good luck!
Image Image

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Tue May 13, 2014 3:40 pm

Hengy wrote:Earl doesn't post much, but he does frequent the forum...send a PM, and I'm sure that he'll get it after he gets notification on his e-mail that he has a PM...

Good luck!

Thanks, Mike. I'll send him a PM.

Return to “Farmall Cub”