This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dad's 1949 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clownfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36578
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
1959 Farmall Cub
2005 Massey Ferguson 1528
Circle of Safety: Y

Dad's 1949 Cub

Postby Clownfish » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:35 pm

I am a new forum member and will use this post to introduce myself. I recently came into possession of my dad's 1949 Cub. He bought it in 1951 to replace his horse and used it for about 6 years to raise a total of about 20 acres of cotton and corn in Mississippi. I started driving on this tractor in 1952 when I was 7. In about 1957 he gave up farming and went to work in a factory. The Cub was used for the garden until about 1990. Dad passed away in 1995 and the Cub was infrequently used for mowing until about 2004. Since then it has been unused. I hope to restore it to a running condition with a decent appearance and use it to cultivate a small garden. I am not trying to make it like new. From reading many posts on this forum I can see that there is a lot of information and help available. I am looking forward to the project and learning from fellow forum members.

The engine is currently frozen. I have removed it and will take it to a machine shop in early Jan. With the engine off I can see that the clutch shaft (Drive shaft) appears to be bent and has a slight wobble when turned by hand. Is a slight bend a major problem and if it is can it be straightened? I have many more questions but I'll stop with this one for now.

IMG_0820-003.JPG
Dad's 1949 Cub as I started the Project
IMG_0820-003.JPG (259.44 KiB) Viewed 1219 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Re: Dad's 1949 Cub

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Welcome to the best forum on the internet. That includes ALL forums, no matter what the subject matter. Your cub story is almost identical to my dad's "Uncle Bob", a 1947.
As for as the main shaft, you need to remove it and inspect each end for wear. If it looks ok, a machine shop can straighten it and make it run true. I had one done locally at no charge.

Looks like you are less than 3 hrs from Sneads FL which is the site for DSCF held in Feb.
Last edited by BIGHOSS on Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Did you already try putting a penetrating oil in the cylinders to see if that would free up the pistons? Often, the rings get stuck to the cylinder walls. It also may be a case of a couple of stuck valves. You can remove the tappet cover and see if they will move with a screwdriver. If you have a hand crank, you can use that to try and free up the engine after doing the above. You may need to put the engine up on blocks (or an engine stand) and have someone help by holding it while you try and use the crank. An engine rebuild can run anywhere between $500- $2000 depending on the extent of the work needed. If it's something you can fix yourself, you'll save some money, even if it's only to disassemble before it goes to the engine shop. The shaft bend should be straightened as it will cause both seal and bearing early failure. And "Welcome to the Forum".

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. I like your Cub, it has good patina. Front and rear wheel weights, cultivators, any more attachments? Since you have used this Cub in the past, you know what a perfect tractor they are for a garden. Keep us posted on your repairs and have fun with it.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Clownfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1959 Farmall Cub

Postby Clownfish » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:08 pm

I have tried the oil in the cylinders and so far have had luck. When I pulled the head the valves look to be in pretty bad shape. Since they look so bad I have elected to take it to a machine shop. For $100 they will tear it down measure everything and give me an estimate for various "fixes". I am mentally prepared for the worst. I have a second engine which looks better when removing the head. In the worst case I could use it but at what point am I not restoring my Dad" tractor but buying a new one if that makes sense? Based on the responses that I have received I'll go ahead and take out the shaft and check it out. I'll post the results. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am looking at trying to attend the Cub Fest in Sneads Fl in Feb. I should know in a couple of weeks if I'll be able to make it.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Best of luck getting it back up and going,
David

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:21 am

Congratulations on rescuing your dad's cub. Another one saved from the scrapheap. :{_}: :{_}: And a Big Irish Welcome to the forum :mrgreen: You will get all the help you need here. Merry Christmas to all forum users. :beer: :beer:
Bernard
Donegal Cub.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Clownfish wrote:I have a second engine which looks better when removing the head. In the worst case I could use it but at what point am I not restoring my Dad" tractor but buying a new one if that makes sense?

That would be up to you; as with each decision concerning your Cub (formerly your dad's). Each component replaced would certainly make it less "your dad's" old Cub, but in my way of thinking, the parts don't necessarily constitute the whole. You could easily replace the engine, or the radiator, or the bolster, or any other combination of components and it would still be your dad's ol' tractor. I wouldn't let that detour you from making a decision that you're comfortable with both emotionally and financially. Now, if you sell this Cub, at that point, you've sold "dad's tractor", if you understand my meaning. :)

Welcome to the forum; glad to read your story and have you aboard!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:10 pm

Clownfish wrote:at what point am I not restoring my Dad" tractor but buying a new one

Reminds me of the old joke "We've replaced the handle three times and the head twice, but it's still Grampa's axe!"

If funds permit, I would recommend the overhaul of the original engine - that way you know what's in it, you've got an engine good for another 50 years, and you've kept Dad's original block.

That being said, I don't think that swapping in a short block would make it any less "Dad's" tractor.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:11 pm

How is the block as far as welds/cracks. If the block has had any repairs made to it, especially around the right front ear, you may not want to spend much on the engine.

Welcome to the forum and this Ohioan hopes to meet you at DSCF. I plan to be there again.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:07 pm

Clownfish wrote:I have tried the oil in the cylinders and so far have had luck. When I pulled the head the valves look to be in pretty bad shape. Since they look so bad I have elected to take it to a machine shop. For $100 they will tear it down measure everything and give me an estimate for various "fixes". I am mentally prepared for the worst. I have a second engine which looks better when removing the head. In the worst case I could use it but at what point am I not restoring my Dad" tractor but buying a new one if that makes sense? Based on the responses that I have received I'll go ahead and take out the shaft and check it out. I'll post the results. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am looking at trying to attend the Cub Fest in Sneads Fl in Feb. I should know in a couple of weeks if I'll be able to make it.

Looking forward to seeing you at DSCF, Hopefully! We will be delighted to have you here.

Roy & the DSCF staff.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Clownfish wrote:..l I am looking at trying to attend the Cub Fest in Sneads Fl in Feb. I should know in a couple of weeks if I'll be able to make it.

Certainly well worth your time. Great hosts. Great food. Great Cubs. What more could you ask for?

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Clownfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1959 Farmall Cub

Postby Clownfish » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:38 am

How do I make reservations or notify the host that I will attend the DSCF? This will be my first.

Glenn

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:43 am

Clownfish wrote:How do I make reservations or notify the host that I will attend the DSCF? This will be my first.

Glenn

Mr. E is the host and I'd say he will see this today and know you plan to be there. It is best to reserve a room soon as the motel have been filling up due to other events in the are the same weekend.

Here is the website with more info. http://www.dscubfest.com/
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:47 am

Deep South Cub Fest website...

http://www.dscubfest.com/
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”