Shifter rod expansion plugs

Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Just wanted to know if the two 9/16" expansion plugs for the gear shifter rod holes, #13, page 5, must be replaced with new ones, or can I reuse the ones that came out when I removed the shifter rods from the housing?
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/TC-37F%20Revision%206%20(08-79)/Group%20-%2007%20-%20Drive%20Train/Page-05.jpg

If I can reuse them, do I just clean up the holes and press them in, or do I use some kind of sealant? What is the best tool with which to install them? If I must replace them, does TM have them? Wish they would leave their parts sight open when they are closed for business. They could just post a sign that said they were not taking orders until.... I just like their sight as a reference SO much and miss it when it is down!!!

Thank you.

Re: Shifter rod expansion plugs

Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:59 pm

any parts store will have them ask for freeze plugs I use Indian head around the plug, tap them in the center with a ball peen hammer use the peen end.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Dale, If they are too tight to insert, hit them on the concave side with a ball peen to increase the curvature and decrease the diameter. Then do as Boss said.

Bob

Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks, guys! My Christmas list is getting longer!

Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:15 pm

you tap it to tighten it up

Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Dale, If they are too tight to insert, hit them on the concave side with a ball peen to increase the curvature and decrease the diameter. Then do as Boss said.

Bob

I understand what you are both saying...thanks!

Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Now this is something I can get into! Smack it with a hammer to make it cupped, then smack the cup out of it to make it stay in! :{_}:

Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:06 am

Twice the fun with one Task!! :D

Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:02 am

Yep, your local parts store should have them.

I bought a box of them in 2009 for $1.75. They are the Dorman brand ( part number is 550-004) and the box said there were 10 pieces. Funny thing is I used 2 of them and still have 15 of them in the box. I guess some one must have miss counted when the box was filled.