Adjusting Tappets Cold ???

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:48 am

Hi all, Im doing some work on my Cub, carb and choke work. I have the carb off and took off exhaust manifold as well. I have a nice clean shot at the tappet cover. I have been wanting to adjust the valves for some time now, But everywhere I read says to adjust them warm and I believe its 0.10 clearance.

My question is while I have a nice clean shot at it how bad would it be to adjust them cold ??. Is it something I shouldn't even consider and if its ok would the tolerance be different ??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Adjusting Tappets Cold ???

Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:07 am

According to the manual on Rudi's server they are set to .013" cold.

Rodney 8)

Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:34 am

Rodney51Cub wrote:According to the manual on Rudi's server they are set to .013" cold.

Rodney 8)

I believe the consensus is .015 now cold. Check out the how to forum. There is a post there(maybe two) on adjusting valves.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:28 pm

tmays wrote:I believe the consensus is .015 now cold.

I have seen conflicting instructions in official manuals. Given the old adage "if they're tapping, they're not burning," I adjust to .015 cold, and have had no problems (touch wood).

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:12 pm

Im going with 0.15 cold. the 0.10 I read was hot. and .15 makes sense. thank you all

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:05 am

valves will only get tighter with use, as the seat and the valve wear a groove. so setting them loose at .015 is best. why there are even specs to set them hot is a mystery to me... when you need to have them set before you start the motor.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:19 am

I feel the same way Art. I have built many a small block chevy motor and have always adjusted valves before starting up or even installing the motor.