This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

FUEL /CARB OR ELEC?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: FUEL /CARB OR ELEC?

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:02 pm

Eoghan wrote:
bythepond88 wrote:The sediment bowl is not the best place to check for fuel flow. If the system is tight, and the float is seating properly, air in the line between the bowl and the carb will prevent the fuel from flowing freely.

you're right, if the float valve is closed the fuel won't go anywhere. However, if you've drained the carb to remove debris as i said, the valve will then be open, allowing you to view (through the sediment bowl) the actual speed at which the fuel is flowing out of the tank under sealed conditions.
You can only SEE fuel flow into the sediment bowl if the sediment bowl is empty (and all the other conditions previously mentioned) and then only for as long as it takes to fill the sediment bowl. After that you might see a little swirling in the sediment bowl but I don't think that would really tell me much about flow.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:33 pm

Rmankty wrote:..........the sed bowl is clean..........I noticed bowl has small space at top with no fuel,bowl doesnt leak,and brass nozzle inside bowl is in the fuel.......
The space at the top of the sediment bowl has already been mentioned but going into a little more detail;
The gas flows into the tube sticking up a little bit above the bottom of the tank. It sticks up to help cut down on drawing any dirt, rust, etc. from the bottom of the tank. Gas travels down the tube to the shut off valve and then on down the tube you see inside the sediment bowl. The outlet from this tube is out the sides. There's usually a little disc mounted in the end of the tube. This is so the gas doesn't shoot directly into the bottom of the sediment bowl and stir it up. It flows out the sides in a gentler stream and the gas fills the sediment bowl completely until it encounters the screen at the top. The screen is to catch any big floating stuff that's made it this far like say a grass seed. After the gas goes up through the screen then it goes out to the gas line to the carb.

If there is a space at the top of the sediment bowl then there is a blockage into it, you're out of gas, or the gas is shut off :shock: .
A little dirt in the sediment bowl won't hurt anything. It's for crud to settle out of the gas.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:52 am

With sediment bowls, it is possible to clean the bowl, replace it and have no fuel enter it when the valve is opened. In cases where the carburetor is full and the float needle is seated, the air in the sediment bowl is trapped until the float needle in the carburetor opens. Starting the engine results in the sediment bowl filling almost instantly.
I have experienced this several times.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Rmankty
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48446

Postby Rmankty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:21 pm

This is all excellent advice,truly! I will follow these steps from the tank to the carb. And thanks for the picture of the Seafoam Container. I will be able to go out to pole barn and do these things tomorrow or saturday.I have every confidence these steps will fix the problem,and I'll know what to do! Thanks alot to all of you,I will report back the outcome afterwards.

Rmankty
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48446

Postby Rmankty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Hello! My tractor runs fine now! I followed all your advice and I think was no fuel because of air in line. We had really cold weather since then,I couldnt get tractor started.It souned like it wanted to but really cold.I am going to get a new battery.Finally, I took metal flex air breather hose off and left it off and the tractor took off after about 10 minutes and ran great.When I hooked air cleaner line back to carb immediately wanted to die.I took air cleaner off and the bowl was filled with what I assume was starter fluid/gas.I didnt smell it, I cleaned it out and put in a small amount of 10w30 oil and hooked it back up.What caused that? If the engine runs better with air cleaner hose off,how do you fix that? Thanks alot for your knowledge!!!!!!!! I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Rmankty wrote:If the engine runs better with air cleaner hose off,how do you fix that?

Remove the entire air cleaner assembly and clean it thoroughly with kerosene.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”