Re: Decisions to make about the '50 Cub

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:36 pm

The reason I decided to go ahead and rebuild the magneto is because my spark has been inconsistent with the external coil modifications. It has been very hot at the coil, but weak at the plugs. And, since the PO did a lot of what I would call "unorthodox" repairs, I have decided to go ahead and start fixing things right on this tractor.

Honestly, I had continued to do the same type of patchwork repairs to the tractor that the PO had done because I needed to keep the tractor working. Well, that finally fell through for me because it came plow time this year and the tractor wouldn't even start. So, the other day my neighbor brought over his Kubota and tilled up all my gardens for me instead! It turns out that his box tiller does a better job than my plow and disc harrow does.

So, now that I'm not under any time pressure to get this cub up and running, I'll just go ahead and start fixing everything right from here on out. It's had enough patchwork. It deserves quality work, so that's what I'll do.

Thanks for the encouragement! I appreciate it!

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Today my tractor finally got FIXED! I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires with good old AMERICAN made stuff from TM Tractor, and it roared to life effortlessly!! :{_}:

For the first time in a long time, I had some good seat time today too! I ran it for a couple of hours and it performed flawlessly!!!!

I'm finally back in business with the cub! So, now I can use it, and keep bringing it back to its former self. :{_}:

Yes, I'm happy!!!

I want to thank all of you folks for chiming in and offering advice and helping me figure this all out! Thank you again so much!

The next thing on my list is to rebuild the magneto and get it off the external coil. But, for the meantime, the external coil is working great! It has tons of power, and just keeps on pulling my hills with no problem. I'm impressed! It has never had so much power before! And, it will start with the hand crank, which is something I could never get it to do before. :D

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:26 pm

It's a great feeling and thanks for sharing your well-earned excitement. :{_}:

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:55 am

You did good, lots of enjoyment to follow :{_}: :{_}:
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:22 pm

I cannot say enough how good it is to have my cub running again. Thanks again to everyone who helped in any way whatsoever!

I had intended to pull it in the garage back in January to do a little sprucing up on it. Well it turned out that it got some attention for sure, but not what I expected! Last year I had adjusted the valves, and that helped a bunch, because it just ran like it was tired until I adjusted them. But, just to be sure, I checked them again recently. When I removed the manifold, I found that I had not tightened the manifold bolts tight enough, and it was barely getting enough vacuum to make the carburetor updraft. So, that got corrected.

Then, after observing a weak and intermittent spark, and discovering the magneto was saturated with oil inside, I cleaned out the excess oil, and replaced the external coil, points and condenser, rotor, distributor cap, plug wires and spark plugs. Now it has a good hot spark just as it should! 5 years ago I had replaced a lot of that stuff with poor quality stuff, and I've learned that the cheap stuff is just that, CHEAP! My advice to anyone is, go ahead and buy the good stuff! You'll probably only have to buy it once.

Also, the rubber fuel line and original fuel strainer got replaced with a new strainer and metal fuel line. I also bought new rubber hoses for the air intake and replaced the carburetor gasket and used Indian Head Shellac on it. Now, the cub runs better than it ever has.

And today my magneto puller tool arrived from Earl, so when I get the money to buy up the rest of the magneto parts, I'll finish rebuilding it, and be putting it back on a fully functioning magneto.

I'm just documenting all this for myself, and anyone else who is struggling with a sick or poorly maintained cub. I've got a long way to go, but at least with it running, I know it will eventually get back to what I want it to be! :D