Re: Decisions to make about the '50 Cub

Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Ironlegs: Although a lot depends on the Cub you start with, in general they are extremely reliable and rugged. In the scheme of things, a Cub will outshine anything you can buy today in most any regard.
In a few minutes I will go out and 'test fit' a set of tire chains. The 65 Lo Boy will start on the first try! Nothing at all special about it, some parts have been painted and it has a new clutch. The 'low rider' will mow, plow (snow and dirt) and York rake against any $12,000 'compact' tractor out there.
The best part is your son will still be using yours when he is your age!
As for 'restoring' a tractor, it's a labor of love and a great way to learn new skills. As for me, I am pretty well all set with painting them, they don't run any better when they are shiny. And it brings out the 'mushroom theory' in spades.

Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:29 pm

I've done some work to the cub over the past few weeks. I reset the points to .013" and the spark is much stronger. Next thing is to get the fuel problems fixed. The fuel line is a pieced together mix of old copper fuel line and rubber hose. So, I'm doing what I found on an old thread by using a 20 inch steel brake line and ferrules to make a new one.

Also, I'm going to replace the float valve, and set the float per the proper specs. While I'm at it, I'm also going to resurface the mating surfaces of both the carburetor and manifold to make sure they're good and flat.

A new fuel line and new strainer bowl assembly arrived in the mail today. Ferrules, gaskets, and a Kohler needle valve are on the way and will be here within a few days.

I've been fighting fuel problems for years, and its time to fix them. I am so thankful for all the posts and information on this site! It has helped tremendously. Thank you all for sharing your wisdom!

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Well, I'm puzzled...

I have fixed all the fuel leaks, and rebuilt the carburetor with the a high quality kit. Now, the tractor does run finally, and purrs like a kitten at idle. But, after I throttle it up, it smokes black smoke, and pulls almost all the fuel out of the carburetor bowl... It will run, but it is running super rich.

When I rebuilt the carburetor, the main jet had been broken off and was capped over with a set screw, so to fix that problem I had to extract the remains of the original main jet. When I extracted the main jet, the bowl cracked and split on the inside of the bowl about 1/16". I went ahead and mounted the new main jet and I thought it had sealed itself from the bowl. But now I'm beginning to wonder.

Any thoughts? I think maybe this carburetor was just past being able to fix properly. I don't know what else it could be, but that's why I lean on you folks for wisdom. I ain't got much...

Here's a photo diagram showing the portion of the main jet seat that has split open. As I said, it looked like it had sealed, but I now have my doubts...

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:48 pm

Did you attempt to seal the split/crack in any way? Could you repost a photo that is a little more in focus and without the black mark so that we can see the actual crack? Thanks.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:54 pm

Before you give up on that carb, I'd clean the crack with a small dremel bit. One wrap of teflon tape around the jet and fill the crack with JB Weld. It does not dissolve in gasoline. The teflon tape is just to keep the JB from sticking to the jet if the crack allows it to go that far. After setting, remove the tape and give it a whirl. What size main jet did you put in and what is the part # on the flat area of the carb top opposite the gas inlet?

Bob

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:37 pm

I will get you guys that information, and take the carburetor apart and take a photo of it soon. I appreciate the help.