Decisions to make about the '50 Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ben B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (post demo)
MTD Cub Cadet 42
MTD Cub Cadet 54
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Decisions to make about the '50 Cub

Postby Ben B » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:32 am

Yesterday the steering gear rebuild was completed and the front end reinstalled. Also shimmed tie rod ball joints and adjusted tie rod ends. It steers like a new one now.

Also installed new oil pan with gasket, and changed the oil and filter while I was at it.

Everything I do to it makes it that much better. I'm very impressed with how well it is doing now!
Circle of Safety

Ben B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (post demo)
MTD Cub Cadet 42
MTD Cub Cadet 54
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Decisions to make about the '50 Cub

Postby Ben B » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:30 am

bob in CT wrote:Nice work Ben. Good to see steady progress.

Thanks Bob for the encouragement. Whenever I'm working on this thing, I think about how your '50 is the closest one in age that I am aware of to this one. I think they were made on successive days. However, this tractor can never be a showpiece like yours because of the rollover it suffered in its time before it came to me. So, because of that, it is a worker. And work it does!

Once again, I owe a great debt to the folks on the forum. I relined the brake band on the left rear the other night after reading up on the "how to" about it. I ordered the parts from McMaster Carr and fixed it. It was worn badly, and the brake drum had worked loose and sheared off the set screw, so that's why it wasn't working. It's all fixed now, and both brakes will now lock up. I do still need to relign the right band as it its worn, but that can wait until I have a reason that I need to remove the right final drive again.

I also replaced the left side transmission seal while I was at it. I had a new one already on hand that my Dad had given me from his leftover Cub parts.

So now, everything that has been fixed since I got it five years ago is:
New fuel strainer assembly
New carburetor
New metal fuel line
rebuilt magneto
rebuilt steering gear
replaced steering bolster bottom cover (old one busted in rollover and brazed)
replaced front axle tube (old one broken and welded from rollover)
new tires
new rear wheels
new battery box
rebuilt rear light assembly
new wiring harness
adjusted valves and new gasket
new oil pan and gasket
new belt
new drawbar
new shifter fork
new muffler
new left brakes
new left transmission seal

...and I'm probably forgetting something. But, FINALLY, I'm to the point that from here on it's just general maintenance and upkeep rather than trying to chase down problems and fix them!

Now I know what to look for in the next cub I get. I know how to spot roll over damage and signs of abuse. And if someone makes it sound to good to be true, there's a reason!

But this tractor is like me in that it has gotten busted up really bad in its younger days, but has lived to recover and slowly come back to being as good as ever! And, that's one of the main reasons I want to keep it. It reminds me that even if we do suffer bad problems we can recover from them and keep going.

I do need to replace the rear crankshaft seal, but that will have to wait until Santy Claws maybe will bring me a cherry picker for Christmas! :wink:
Circle of Safety