This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Introduction, and about a 1945 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rjfcsa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60957

Introduction, and about a 1945 Cub

Postby rjfcsa » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Hello all,
I have been a member for a while now but I guess never really introduced myself. Posted one or two things but mainly read others. Had some knee surgury done so I have a bit of down time to do this. So I am making this a dual post. I am Russel Foster from Paxton, IL. I have been interested in red tractors for several years. Just in the past couple of years we got real interested in collecting cub stuff. (AAAAAA like a disease). My sister Hannah purchased a nicely restored 55 cub with fast hitch, disc, plow, and platform carrier about 4 years ago and needless to say several other items have followed. I have pick up a couple of cubs bout sold etc.
This past spring/ summer I attempted my first restoration of a cub for myself, and am fairly please with how it turned out. It is a 47 circle cub, with a 45 wagner loader which I might try to find some decent pics to post later. This past spring I picked on up that was hard to pass on. It is an all original ( not perfect) 47 cub serial number #535. That I needed like another hole in the head but with that number I could not pass it up.
My dad has a 58 cub that needs restored. Some of our implements, most are my sisters, FH two way plow, FH one row planter, FH spring tooth harrow, FH 100 rear blade, a rare FH rotary hoe. A 4-E hammer mill, and I painted up Dads #30 cylinder corn sheller with the hard to find cob carrier. We had all this set up at the Rantoul half century of Progress show, and were running the hammer mill and sheller on flat belts with the cubs.
This is most of our cub stuff. I do not know if I we have meet any members at shows, but I do remember talking to John the Cub guy at the DuQuoin red power. Well this is rather lengthy so I will stop for now and go to my main topic that I started on.

I ran across this picture of a 1945 cub on ebay, that I bought, and thought others might find it interesting. And before getting heckled about the year of the cub look at the back of the photo. It is an original not copy of a press release photo that I.H. must have sent out.
It has an international running gear with a MONARCH box that was SOLD BY, BROWN? LYNCH SCOTT CO MONMOUTH, ILL.

I would guess this is a pre-production tractor. The tractor has several differences from a production version. I can see several differences under a higher res. scan than the picture I have here.
For one well no decals except for on the oil filter.
It has a much different front axle and spindles. The tie rods and arms look the same.
The front hub and 4 bolt rims are different.
There looks to be a U both and bracket to the left side of the axle.
The hood to gas tank looks very smooth I do not see a seam.
The front screen is the finer wire, but the dog legs are part of the frame around the screen so it is all one piece.
The clutch housing is much different, it kind of tapers down to the tyranny and is round on top. no flat spots made for the hydraulic unit of the fuel take support or steering column. The fuel tank support and steering column are rounded on the bottom to match the clutch housing.
I don't know why but there are two throttle assembles.
The steering wheel is bolted cross wise not a nut on the end of the shaft.
And there is a drive sprocket on the Left rear differential.

This might have been discussed before, but I thought this picture was very interesting.
Wish I had the tractor :D :D :D

Russel Foster
Attachments
Original cub photo Back 1_edited.jpg
Original cub photo Back 1_edited.jpg (141.39 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Original cub photo 3_edited.jpg
Original cub photo 3_edited.jpg (318.45 KiB) Viewed 544 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Introduction, and about a 1945 Cub

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:48 pm

That is a preproduction cub. There were brochures, etc. printed in 1945, introducing the cub which came out in 1947. i as well as everyone on here would love to have one of them, but from what I understand they were all dismantled. Here is a link to the full size pictures.http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/19 ... %20upload/

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jason (IL) » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Hey Russel,
How's things going besides the knee? Those prototypes are interesting and if one is out there I am sure it will be something to see and talk about.

Good to here from ya.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:00 pm

If you search the forum for "preproduction" a number of threads will come up where this has been discussed before. It appears as if there may have been several different versions of pre-manufactured Cubs built as evident by the different versions seen in available photos.
Would like to see your '47 if you have the time to post photos of it! :D

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:01 am

rjfcsa wrote:Hello all,
I have been a member for a while now but I guess never really introduced myself. Posted one or two things but mainly read others. Had some knee surgury done so I have a bit of down time to do this. So I am making this a dual post. I am Russel Foster from Paxton, IL. I have been interested in red tractors for several years. Just in the past couple of years we got real interested in collecting cub stuff. (AAAAAA like a disease). My sister Hannah purchased a nicely restored 55 cub with fast hitch, disc, plow, and platform carrier about 4 years ago and needless to say several other items have followed. I have pick up a couple of cubs bout sold etc.
This past spring/ summer I attempted my first restoration of a cub for myself, and am fairly please with how it turned out. It is a 47 circle cub, with a 45 wagner loader which I might try to find some decent pics to post later. This past spring I picked on up that was hard to pass on. It is an all original ( not perfect) 47 cub serial number #535. That I needed like another hole in the head but with that number I could not pass it up.
My dad has a 58 cub that needs restored. Some of our implements, most are my sisters, FH two way plow, FH one row planter, FH spring tooth harrow, FH 100 rear blade, a rare FH rotary hoe. A 4-E hammer mill, and I painted up Dads #30 cylinder corn sheller with the hard to find cob carrier. We had all this set up at the Rantoul half century of Progress show, and were running the hammer mill and sheller on flat belts with the cubs.
This is most of our cub stuff. I do not know if I we have meet any members at shows, but I do remember talking to John the Cub guy at the DuQuoin red power. Well this is rather lengthy so I will stop for now and go to my main topic that I started on.

I ran across this picture of a 1945 cub on ebay, that I bought, and thought others might find it interesting. And before getting heckled about the year of the cub look at the back of the photo. It is an original not copy of a press release photo that I.H. must have sent out.
It has an international running gear with a MONARCH box that was SOLD BY, BROWN? LYNCH SCOTT CO MONMOUTH, ILL.

I would guess this is a pre-production tractor. The tractor has several differences from a production version. I can see several differences under a higher res. scan than the picture I have here.
For one well no decals except for on the oil filter.
It has a much different front axle and spindles. The tie rods and arms look the same.
The front hub and 4 bolt rims are different.
There looks to be a U both and bracket to the left side of the axle.
The hood to gas tank looks very smooth I do not see a seam.
The front screen is the finer wire, but the dog legs are part of the frame around the screen so it is all one piece.
The clutch housing is much different, it kind of tapers down to the tyranny and is round on top. no flat spots made for the hydraulic unit of the fuel take support or steering column. The fuel tank support and steering column are rounded on the bottom to match the clutch housing.
I don't know why but there are two throttle assembles.
The steering wheel is bolted cross wise not a nut on the end of the shaft.
And there is a drive sprocket on the Left rear differential.

This might have been discussed before, but I thought this picture was very interesting.
Wish I had the tractor :D :D :D

Russel Foster

Isn't that you guys on Youtube running the 4E hammermill? You demo it with 2-3 different screens. I really enjoyed that video!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

rjfcsa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60957

Postby rjfcsa » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for the info John. I figured this had probably been discussed before. Hopefully there was one left somewhere for us all to see some year.

Jason, Not going to bad other that messing up my knee and being out of work for several months. Since there are no bigish shows near us this year we are toying with the idea of setting up at Penfield, but we will see.

RaymondDurban, Which 47? :) :) :) should I post on a new subject here under cubs or somewhere else?

Al, Yes that is us, :oops: and my most entertaining dry commentary. :lol: My Dad is kind of proud we have found 9 out of the 13 screens listed in the part book for the 4-E. The other videos are of my sister planting with her 55 cub and a one row planter. this past year we did another of using the 55 with a 250A two row mechanical lift planter. Video of it is not so good I did too low of a resolution was going to try to redo it to see if I can get it on better. I believe my sister took a video of us running the corn sheller I am going to try to upload it sometime.

Russel

Return to “Farmall Cub”