This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rear main seal retainer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
glennhuff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97458
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub

rear main seal retainer

Postby glennhuff » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:44 pm

I need to do my rear main seal. Does anyone know whether Rick (or anyone else) is still modifying retainers for the larger seal? If not I will go with the retainer available from TM.
thanks

glenn

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: rear main seal retainer

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:00 pm

Glenn, Tim Talleur (tst) is doing them now. Send him a PM and he'll get you the info.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97000
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.

Postby Redcub » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:14 am

Bob ( or other pro ), can you explain what this is about? Why does a guy want/need this modification? I'm new to this subject and I'd like to know more. Thanks.
Next time you are out here in the Pacific NW see us at
The Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks Ore, along Interstate-5 just North of Salem
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:30 am

Generally speaking , the new seals that are available today do not fit tightly enough in the most of the old retainers and will leak. Currently TST (on this form ) is machining the old retainers and using a larger O. D. seal that will fit snugly enough as not to leak. Some have devised ways to make them work without the retainer modification by staking and or adhesives. I hope this answers your question. :D

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:20 am

To add to what Jim posted, Case/IH does sell a new retainer and seal that work, but the new retainer alone is about $175.00. That seal does not fit the old retainers. Years ago, Rick Prentice made a jig so that he could bore out the old retainers and insert an off the shelf size seal with the correct press fit. Rick retired from doing that, and Tim Talleur is currently the one doing it. Many have tried staking and "glues", but a lot of those attempts end up leaking again soon as it leaks around the seal or the seal spins in the retainer. Tim also flattens the retainers, as some tend to have a little warp in them

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

glennhuff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97458
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub

Postby glennhuff » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks for the info.