This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

compression tester

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

compression tester

Postby Eoghan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:38 pm

is it common for the valve on a compression tester to go? i haven't used mine in a couple of years, and when i went to test the cub, the needle bounced but wouldn't build pressure.. kind of annoying because i've only used it a couple of times.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: compression tester

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:10 pm

Short answer. Yes.

I have found that when the schrader valve in the compression tester is below freezing, that it does not work or work well. Once things warmup a bit, above freezing, the compression tester works well.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower

Postby Eoghan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:30 am

Eugene wrote:I have found that when the schrader valve in the compression tester is below freezing, that it does not work or work well. Once things warmup a bit, above freezing, the compression tester works well.

Huh.. I never would have thought of that. I'll set it by the wood stove for a little while and see if that helps. It's a cheapo, but i've only used it once before. it sat on the shelf for a while though.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:03 am

As I recall, when I got my compression tester many years ago it came with a warning to not substitute a Schrader valve from a tire. Even though they look the same, the rubber in one from a tire would be damaged by gasoline and quickly fail. Some of us have old tools of unknown history. Some overseas tool sources use reverse engineering to design their merchandise and may not have read the warning either. I don't know if either of these has relevance in your situation or not.

Return to “Farmall Cub”