This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Restoration: Charlotte, 1948 Cub (Kansas)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Restoration: Charlotte, 1948 Cub (Kansas)

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun May 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Here's pictures from TM Tractor that show all sides of a rear final: http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gfi ... g1_001.htm
You'll have to determine if the fender is bent or the rockshaft is bent (more or less than it should be). A long ear dash takes a bent rockshaft, while a short ear dash takes a straight one (if you have hydraulics).
If the hole where the stud/bolt was is too big for a helicoil, there are solid inserts (like EZ sert) that are thicker and require a larger initial hole, but also use standard tap sizes.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67235
Tractors Owned: '48 IHC

Postby alfreema » Sun May 18, 2014 9:13 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Here's pictures from TM Tractor that show all sides of a rear final: http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gfi ... g1_001.htm
You'll have to determine if the fender is bent or the rockshaft is bent (more or less than it should be). A long ear dash takes a bent rockshaft, while a short ear dash takes a straight one (if you have hydraulics).
If the hole where the stud/bolt was is too big for a helicoil, there are solid inserts (like EZ sert) that are thicker and require a larger initial hole, but also use standard tap sizes.

Bob

I'm pretty certain it's the fender but will try and post pics tomorrow. The rockshaft assembly has a couple holes along the bottom. I was actually just toying with the idea of using one of those holes to push the fender over and "lock it in position" with some threaded rod and a spacer or something.

Can you give me more details (better yet a link) on the EZ sert products? I didn't find that brand Googling but it sounds like what I need. I believe the existing stud is 1 inch (it's huge).

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Sun May 18, 2014 9:16 pm

Whoa just Googled "threaded inserts" and found a link to Grainger with a ton of them. No idea what type would be appropriate for this application though.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun May 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Go to McMaster.com and look at these part #'s. 90248AO44, 90248AO45, and 90246AO44

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon May 19, 2014 8:01 am

Here's a link to a How-To that Rudi did some time back. Hope this helps:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52696
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Mon May 19, 2014 8:28 am

I'll take a look at Rudi's how-to in a minute, but in the mean time, here are some picks of how the rockshaft would be jammed up against the fender if I were to tighten it all down:

Image 1: Shows why I believe it's the fender that's bent. It really bows toward the tractor in the middle but bends toward the tire at the front.

Image 2: Looking down the rockshaft, it doesn't seem to be that bent, but I don't know ... you can see the adjustment nut just laying right up against the fender.

Image 3: Just an alternative view, really.

Image 4: Shows the hole in the bottom of the rockshaft's assembly that I could use as a "spacer" to push the fender over and keep the rockshaft from hitting the fender. I'd hate to use it for that purpose, because I shouldn't need to, but not sure the best way to resolve this issue.

Image 5: Not a great photo, but shows looking down the rockshaft from the front.

Extra question: In image 2, notice the rockshaft is really sloppy where the r-clip hairpin cotter keeps it from falling out of the assembly -- should I add some washers to keep it from being so sloppy?

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon May 19, 2014 10:47 am

Is this a Cub rockshaft and lift rod? Never seen one like this. All lift rods that I know of are made from a one piece 3/4" rod with no adjustment collar.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Mon May 19, 2014 11:39 am

BIGHOSS wrote:Is this a Cub rockshaft and lift rod? Never seen one like this. All lift rods that I know of are made from a one piece 3/4" rod with no adjustment collar.

I have no idea, but it did come off of a Cub -- that's all I know. The assembly seems to align with the mounting holes perfectly (even though I am missing a bolt). Maybe the original shaft was damaged and replaced?

goldencub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01770

Postby goldencub » Mon May 19, 2014 4:40 pm

You might try some washers on that rockshaft to take the slop out of the rear fitting. It looks to me that by doing so, it will cause the rockshaft to roll up and to the right a little bit - maybe enough to clear the fender? My rockshaft is nice and snug there in the rear, with no play or ability to roll or twist. Also, for what it's worth, my shaft is one single peice just as Big Hoss mentions. Al D
Maud - 1947 Cub #4364
Everything's better with Golden Retrievers, an old Ford V8 and a Cub!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon May 19, 2014 5:30 pm

You lift rod is a home-brewed affair. Likewise, the rockshaft appears to one from a handlift, modified the work with the hydraulic lift. All lift rods I have seen started life as a steel rod with ends modified to fit the TC and rockshaft. There are bends in the to accommodate the long ear/short ear dash. Have I seen lift rods strengthened (questionable) in various ways? You betcha. A proper lift rod will solve 99.99% of your problem.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Mon May 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Yes, I placed a washer in there and took up the slop but still had clearance issues. But it definitely is better not being so sloppy.

I was unable to bend the fender while it's mounted (no surprise). I was able to get the clearance I needed by inserting a 2x4 between the assembly and the fender. It's not an original IH 2x4, but with some primer, paint and poly urethane I don't think you will be able to tell it's a knockoff. :)

I was able to get the carry all working! One issue is that it's still 15" off the ground when the hydraulics are full down. Is that reasonable or should I expect it to be able to go closer to the ground? I have taken pictures but again am on my phone.

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Mon May 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:You lift rod is a home-brewed affair. Likewise, the rockshaft appears to one from a handlift, modified the work with the hydraulic lift. All lift rods I have seen started life as a steel rod with ends modified to fit the TC and rockshaft. There are bends in the to accommodate the long ear/short ear dash. Have I seen lift rods strengthened (questionable) in various ways? You betcha. A proper lift rod will solve 99.99% of your problem.

Bill

Thanks! Can you post a link to a good picture of a proper lift rod, so I can see what I am missing?

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon May 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Below is what a standard Cub lift rod looks like on a hand lift assembly. Also check out the TM Tractor website. I am pretty sure they have photos also.
Liftrod & Rockshaft R1.JPG
Liftrod & Rockshaft R1.JPG (130.22 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue May 20, 2014 11:48 am

I'm wondering if the "home brewed" rear rock shaft is a modified hand lift setup. The reach rod is definitely bigger than a standard unit, for sure. The double holes that the reach rod mounts to at the rear is what reminds me of the hand lift modification.

I think that the larger diameter rod might be causing some of your jamming. But I am viewing this on a phone app, so I may be wrong!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:59 pm

OK, it's that time of the year where I get about 1 month to work on my Cub before my other life takes over. I'm back to the very original problem I have had right along .... she just won't start in weather colder than 70. I reread this thread and this is where I am at:

1) We popped the valve cover off for the first time and took a look. Pretty darn clean! I was actually quite surprised! All of the tappets spun freely and a quick visual inspection showed that they appeared to be working properly when we hand cranked it.

2) All valves had a 0.013 gap between the tappets, except one, so we adjusted it.

3) We checked the gap on the spark plugs, which are Champion D15Y. The were all right around 0.025.

4) We ran a compression check. We can't start the old bird, so it was a cold compression check. We didn't put any oil down, so it's also a dry check. At any rate the results are terrible. Starting from front to back:

Cyl 1: 42psi
Cyl 2: 85psi
Cyl 3: 50psi
Cyl 4: 62psi

Obviously not good. Not sure that adding oil would have improved the situation much, but we can certainly do that.

5) The battery is in great shape. Took it down to the battery store and they load tested it and it performed excellently.

6) I took some 400 grit sandpaper to the commuter in the starter. The commuter actually looked like it was in very good shape, but I thought I'd go ahead and see if I could clean it up a touch. I didn't notice any difference after sanding it, though I will admit I didn't sand it very long out of fear of doing more harm than good.

I'm not sure where to go from here. The *grind - grind - grind - quit" problem when trying to start Charlotte isn't going to go away on it's own. We believe the engine just isn't getting enough compression to kick over. Using starter fluid helps quite a bit, but even that isn't quite enough to get her started when it's this cold. With starter fluid she ALMOST turns over. I'm guessing because the ether is in a gas state that travels more easily

What's the next natural step to take given the current situation? What other diagnostics/information can I do to help you gurus isolate what is causing Charlotte to not want to purr for me?

Return to “Farmall Cub”