This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Watch Your Labeling.....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Watch Your Labeling.....

Postby ricky racer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Today doing my daily snow plowing :roll: I noticed some steam coming from under the Cub so I quickly drove back to the shop to check it out. My first thought was I might have snow packed in the radiator. From time to time while piling snow up some snow will spill over the blade and fall into the radiator causing a puff of steam.

I pulled the cap off the radiator and the level looked a little low as best I could tell in the cold light in the shop so I figured I'd just top it off to make sure. I went through the half dozen anti-freeze jugs and everything was empty. That kind of surprised me because I usually pretty good about keeping that kind of stuff on hand. I finally found a nearly full gallon jug. I opened it up and started to slowly add its contents to the coolant system of the Cub. As it started pouring out I was surprised to see it was clear not green. I quickly stopped pouring, shocked that it didn't seem to be the 50/50 mix that I keep in all my open anti-freeze containers. All the open anti-freeze containers are marked "50/50 mix". Well, except one. As I struggled to read what was written on the jug, squinting my eyes (I really don't need glasses) and holding the jug at arms length, I could make out the words "30w hyd. oil". :big shy:

Anyway tomorrow, I'll be picking up a couple gallons of anti-freeze and I'll try it again.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Watch Your Labeling.....

Postby Scrivet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:37 pm

Don't worry about it, the water pump needs a little lube once in awhile :lol:

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:12 pm

Scrivet wrote:Don't worry about it, the water pump needs a little lube once in awhile :lol:

You know, when I rebuilt my Cub a few years ago I don't think I even installed the water pump. :lol:

Maybe I just didn't see it. :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:18 pm

ricky racer wrote: ...........Maybe I just didn't see it. :lol:
That's quite common, most people just pretend it's not there. One of the few things on a Cub you can neglect maintence on and it won't affect anything :lol:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:56 pm

Scrivet wrote:
ricky racer wrote: ...........Maybe I just didn't see it. :lol:
That's quite common, most people just pretend it's not there. One of the few things on a Cub you can neglect maintence on and it won't affect anything :lol:
You can neglect maintenance on the water pump, but not on the fan hub. :mrgreen:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Postby smallfarm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:03 am

You Did Good!
Some Model T Ford owners use oil (actually cutting oil if some grade or other) instead of "water wetter" to keep the engine cooler in the summer. Sounds like you're ready for the coming heat wave???????
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:42 am

I would like to tell you it gets better with age. But it don't! We have three vehicles two use dexacool and one anti freeze. I replaced the top radiator hose on the 89 Vette. All the time I kept saying to myself remember green anti freeze. When I got done I dumped pink dexacool.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:33 am

if you saw water in the raditor you are good to go. it just needs to be above fins.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Return to “Farmall Cub”