Plowing snow

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:06 pm

I was wondering if I could plow snow with out chains. I have wheel weights and good tires. The neighbour has a brick driveway and I wouldn't want to damage it with chains. Thank you

Re: Plowing snow

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Yes, just not as easily as with chains.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Thank you

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:43 pm

You will be OK unless you get a little bit of ice. Then you will need chains.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:51 pm

Like the others said, you should be fine, unless you have a hill to climb. This is mine on flat ground, front and rear weights, no chains.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:21 pm

I live in Louisiana and we don't plow snow but i have a question. What happens if one of those bricks is sticking up a little bit?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:37 am

Mike,
If a snow plow is setup correctly the plow should be riding on the guide shoes, not on the cutting edge. If I had a gravel or brick drive, I'd have the shoes set down about 1/2- inch, to keep the cutting edge up off the ground about that far, maybe an inch if I knew the drive was very irregular. This way the blade doesn't catch on an edge as you suggest.

Bill

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:54 am

I have nearly bald turf tires with no chains and wheel weights. Plows fine so long as I'm not trying to go uphill. I push off the flat parts then push down the hill, turn around and drive up the hill and push down hill again. Kind of a pain in the butt, but it's seat time. Me and my Cub "Louie" living large.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:19 am

I've been plowing with out chains for 8 years or so...No problem...Don't let the snow get over 6" ,,I have blacktop..and do other driveways..gravel and concrete...I just keep up on them and don't let to much snow build up..I keep the blade 1 " off the ground...Kevin :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:24 am

I forgot about the shoes I just level the driveway with mine.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:39 am

Thank you everyone for your advice. I am going to try plowing. I have three elderly neighbours and have been spending about six hours at a time shoveling snow. This has been a bad winter in Toronto. Graeme

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:45 am

You can double-up on the rear wheel weights. It made a big difference for me, but my driveway is on a hill. I have an asphalt drive and use a rubber cutting edge, which works pretty well.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:50 am

If your tractor has a fast-hitch, you might gain added traction by attaching a heavy rear implement to the tractor -- just be cautioned that you might plow or harrow those driveways if you lower it too much. In the future, some kind of rear weight, if it adds to your traction, might be devised that doesn't lower as much as does the snow plow?

Just a thought....

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:40 pm

I have filled tires, that has always been enough until we got 3/4" of ice It's been over a month and the ice is still there. Now I have chains.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

I plow, on four concrete drives, with filled tires, one set of weights (have used two sets in the past), and chains. Two of the drives have enough slope that chains are a must. The best thing that I did was install a urethane cutting edge that allows me to plow with down pressure on the blade and since I do not use shoes, I can get right down to the concrete and scrape it fairly clean. After that radiant energy from the sun normally clears the drives right to the concrete.

Bill