This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New guy with 1967 Cub and Questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joe in Grassy Creek
10+ Years
10+ Years

New guy with 1967 Cub and Questions

Postby Joe in Grassy Creek » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:58 pm

I bought a 1967 International Farmall Cub about three weeks ago. It’s serial # 230506 J. It seems to be in pretty good shape.
It smoked pretty much (blue smoke) when the PO started it for me, but after it ran for a while, it stopped. I let it sit for a week while we were out of town, and it blew a little blue smoke when started it, but stopped after running for a while. I figure the valve seats and guides are a bit worn, but will last plenty long before I have to tackle that job. It’s got a few drips around the PTO, the steering box and the rear of the engine. Nothing too bad, but probably a winter job to replace the rear main seal and other seals. The transmission is a bit noisey in 1st and reverse, and I've already located a used one--another winter job!
I got the original Operator’s Manual with it, a Preventative Maintenance Manual for Cubs, Lo-Boys and the 140 through 340 series tractors, a Woods Rotary Mower manual and a Cub and Lo-Boy Service Manual. So I’m in good shape manual wise.
I’ve poked around the tractor and read enough of the manuals to come up with a few questions.
1. How do you tell the difference between a Cub and a Lo-Boy?
2. How do you tell if the tractor is a battery ignition or a magneto ignition?
3. The Owner’s Manual shows 3 ½ pints for the transmission, 1 ¾ pints for the rear axle housing, 1/3 pint for the belt pulley housing. Can I drain and replace the transmission fluid without draining the differential and rear axle housing?
4. What is a good substitute for the IH Hy-Tran fluid called for in the Owner’s Manual? I use a good quality synthetic 85 w 140 in my Moto Guzzi transmission and rear end---would that work?

I’ve been reading this forum for a few weeks. This looks like a great resource, and fine community of folks. Can’t wait to see photos from the Cub Fest.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:13 pm

Hi Joe welcome to the forum and yes you was right this is a nice bunch
of guys.A lot of the guys are busy this weekend with cubfest. I wished
I was there but too far for me.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:46 pm

Joe a magneto looks like this with a plastic box on top. The coil for a magnito is under the box. Many times because of cost or availability when a mag coil went bad farmers woul substitute an external coil in place of the defective one.

http://www.tm-tractor.com/gel/j4mag_001.htm

This is a dist.

http://www.tm-tractor.com/gel/distributor_001.htm

A low boy is closer to the ground than a standard cub.
Take alook around the home page and the links it leads you to and the first couple of postings in this forum and you will glean a wealth of info.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Joe in Grassy Creek
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe in Grassy Creek » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:55 pm

All right, question # 2 answered. Mine is a distributor with an external coil and voltage regulator.

I've noticed that many of the Lo-Boys say "Lo-Boy" on the original decals. Mine has the original decals, and they just say "Cub".

I thought seriously about heading up to Ohio for the Cubfest. Just couldn't work it in to the schedule. I'll definitely make the next one. I need to pick a few implements---and learn how to hook them up!

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Welcome Joe

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:04 pm

You have found a spot with a lot of teriffic people. Just remember, ask any questions.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:21 pm

Joe:

Welcome to the forum. Will give ya the spiel in a minute.

Ifn your decals say Cub and not Lo-Boy, you got a Cub. It is about 8 inches taller than a lo-boy. A lo-boy is meant more for cutting grass as it is kind of low for row-crop gardening.

3. The Owner’s Manual shows 3 ½ pints for the transmission, 1 ¾ pints for the rear axle housing, 1/3 pint for the belt pulley housing. Can I drain and replace the transmission fluid without draining the differential and rear axle housing?
4. What is a good substitute for the IH Hy-Tran fluid called for in the Owner’s Manual?

K, the easy answer is yes. They are separate entities. Check the GSS-1411 Service Manual, which is your Lo-boy Service Manual. The directions for performing these tasks are there as well as visual indicators (pics) on where to find the correct drain plugs.

As for the Hy-Tran. If you do not have a CaseIH Dealer near you, or a :shock: :? :roll: :oops: I gotta bite my lip here - John Deere Dealer :oops: :roll: :oops: :lol: nearby, I think MSO1285 or equivalent is what is asked for.

a Woods Rotary Mower manual

Which Woods Mower Manual is it?

I use a good quality synthetic 85 w 140 in my Moto Guzzi transmission and rear end---would that work?

There can be a lot of debate on what oil to use. The Owner's Manual says 90Wt gear oil, and that is what I use - right from the CaseIH dealer.

I guess you will have to think on that one. I don't think the synthetic will do much harm.... but I do not use synthetic oils in any of my engines. Ithink my mini-van uses it, but I am not sure as I have not done an oil change or added oil to my van in 3 years. The dealer does it. For $24.00, I let him get greasy.. :roll: :wink: :lol:

I need to pick a few implements---and learn how to hook them up!

Well, I guess it is time for the spiel. For you implements look on the Manual Server under Cub Implement Manuals -- see in the welcome text that follows. Also, once you have perused those, visit [url=http://www.tmtractor.com]TM Tractor Parts{/url] and their Implement Gallery to see how things go together..

irst, welcome to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

Ok, so here is the spiel.

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's (both 1 and 2), The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub.

I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the server, it is better is you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only licensed IH publication reprint shop and they have the best quality.

I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, welcome to the Cub Family :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:10 am

BTW, a LoBoy is EASY to differentiate from a regular Cub. It's "lo(w)" to the ground, hence the name "LoBoy." Classic Cubs look like little tractors, and classic LoBoys look like big go-carts with tractor tires on them.

There are also three other "Cub LoBoy" models, the so-called "numbered Cubs," which look like giant lawn tractors. They're easy to spot too.

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:38 am

Funny. :D :D :D :D :D 8)
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:25 pm

I used 80-90 (gear lube) in the steering gear, Hy-Tran in the transmission and the final drives. BUT most folks use gear oil in all 3. Book says it is ok to use in trans and final drives..

Try a search, as there was a very good thread regarding the composition of HY-Tran that convinced me to use it in the final drives and transmission (everyone says it is 'louder' with Hy-Tran)

Easiest way to tell a lo-boy is that the steering arms (whatever they are called) is on on the top and one on the bottom. Cubs are both on top.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:45 pm

Buzzard Wing As with everything else in life, what you say is generally true about the steering links. The first lowboys had both on top. Tom at TM explained it to me once but suffering from CRS I am luckey to remember as much as I do. I am sure one of our experts can explain it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:21 pm

The early ones had tie rods like the standard cub but the Ackerman steering geometry was wrong for the shorter wheelbase. That was corrected with the over / under configuration.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Joe in Grassy Creek
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe in Grassy Creek » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:46 pm

Rudi, the Woods manual is for a Model No. 42C-4. It's titlted "Owners Manual and Parts List with Assembly Instructions" form F-4136 (Rev. 3-74) on the cover. Most of the other pages were revised in 1968 and 69. If any one needs a copy of it, I can scan it and email.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:09 pm

Joe:

Seems I have that manual already. Many thanks though. Do me a favour though would you. Could you check out the Woods Manuasl under OEM Implement and Attachment Manuals on the server. If you have a better copy, I sure would appreciate a good scan. Many thanks.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Postby Joey » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:19 pm

Hey Joe,

Welcome to the board and the Cub community. Like you, I wish I could have gone to the CubFest, but couldn't do it. Where are you located in Baton Rouge? I work for the LSU AgCenter and go to BR often. We should get together sometime and swap names :) .

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:43 am

Hey Joe...WELCOME!!! :D We'll be happy to swap y'all information for some a those GREAT hot seasoned Louisiana "Mud Bugs". :oops: .. a pot a Gumbo. :D ..AND, a good-sized bucket a Prawns! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farmall Cub”