I Think Winter Is Past It's Peak (Hoping Anyway)

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:19 pm

Well, I think winter might be past it's peak. We have had one heck of a winter so far this year with snow in the 100" range and temps that were near record levels. The south and east are getting there dose of it now but temps are supposed to be above freezing here for the next week.

The snow removal equipment got a good workout, primarily the Cub. Only in the last week has the John Deere lawn tractor with snow blower been called into action. For the last 2 weeks I have been in snow management mode, working to make room for additional snow but I was starting to run out of room. My fear was if we got another good snow fall, say 10-20 inches I would be really hurting for room to push snow. A snow blower is the most efficient way to move snow but not near as fun a pushing it with a Cub but with the blower I could blow the snow over the existing banks saving room for the new snow.

I haven't used the John Deere in a couple of years but it fired right up. The next chore was having it chew through the piled up snow in front of the shed. It took a little while but it chewed it's way out.

One area that needed the most work was the bank along the road at the end of the driveway. It is about 5' high and really made checking for traffic difficult when exiting the drive onto the road. The Cub couldn't do much with the bank because there was really no extra room to put the snow once the bank was knocked down. With the snow blower, I could undermine the bank then with a shovel, knock down the upper portion. With the blower I was able to blow the snow up over the bank into the yard.

Anyway, I think with worst is behind us and now if we don't get really warm temperatures and rain, things should be good. I just hope we get a nice slow warm up. They say the frost is about 32" deep here so if we get a quick melt or rain, there is no place for the water to go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

Re: I Think Winter Is Past It's Peak (Hoping Anyway)

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:55 pm

I agree! Here in Caladonia (GR area) we are over 90". We bought a new house with a warranty so it will be interesting if the basement leaks with the 48 degree temps. We will be getting. About 30-40 degrees above what we are use to.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:25 pm

Ricky,how often do ya change oil in the cub? With all that plowing,you better hope winter is past it's peak. Good luck

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:35 pm

8 to 12, coming here, now. Don't think it's over!
Ed

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:56 pm

ricky racer wrote:Well, I think winter might be past it's peak. ........
ScottyD'sdad wrote:..........Don't think it's over!
You guys are talking about two different animals. :lol:

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:21 am

Geee. That's a lot of snow!

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:46 am

I think this year we've had about as much snow as you. No need to worry about space to put the next batch is another reason I prefer the blower.

The calendar says we are past winter's peak, or low actually, as the average daily high starts to rise the 30th of Jan. I wouldn't take bets this year however. Forecast for warming this week. Vern

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:35 am

We didn't really get to much snow here where I'm at....But we got the cold...And I'm looking forward to 30 degee plus temps!!!! Kevin :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:37 am

I hope it is, I have a tractor to work on.

Rodney 8)

7DAYFORECAST_THUMB.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:43 am

6 inches of snow, with blizzard winds, last night,and zero degrees, forecast for tonight. 2 more storms, this week. Don't think it's giving up, yet!
Ed

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm hoping winter is past, too, but all that white stuff outside says otherwise. A lot of tractor projects backed up, that I need to work on .....

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:13 am

Well it was -4 F here this morning...looking forward to "normal" temps this week...I've had enough!!!
Kevin :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:41 am

Kevin, I'm with you. These below zero mornings are really starting to get to me. A Bone Chilling-8F :shock: this morning.
More :coffee: required.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Well Ricky - I hope your right. -4 in NE Ohio this morning with 3 to 6 inches forecast for overnight. Then it's supposed to be 50 by Thursday?!? Looks like you snow removal equipment is holding up well, especially considering all the snow you have! I don't mind the snow, we've had around 60" so far this year, but the numbing cold I can do without!!!

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Even though it was extremely cold out today, I could smell a difference in the air. When you can smell that first hint of spring, it's a pretty good sign that we're pretty much done with the extended runs of cold weather for the winter. It'll still get cold, and we'll still get snow, maybe lots of snow, but at least the temperature will hang in the upper 20's and lower 30's from here on out, and will only go up from there.