This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

"49 Cub Mowing Machine

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tailhntr
10+ Years
10+ Years

"49 Cub Mowing Machine

Postby Tailhntr » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:54 am

I am mowing with my '49 and what a blast it is. I have one problem though. The rear tires are the AG type and tear my lawn to shreds. Also, the front tires are narrow (a trailer tire from Carlisle) and when turning they cut the yard up too. What can I put on this tractor to save my yard. I have seen the turf type for the rear...is this the best? What about the front..is wider better. When I am cutting on an incline the front of the tractor wants to slip downhill, this cuts the yard up like a disc harrow....do I need to load the fronts for more weight....Thanks for all your help on this one...oh and my wife thanks you too....she hates it when I cut the yard all up! :oops:
Red is BEAUTIFUL!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:23 pm

Tailhntr Careful man that front slipping is telling you something. You are near the point of spill. I have a steep bank on a 1200 foot dam that I cut. I can reach up only so far with a 5 foot cycle mower. I can only reach so far down too. When i try to reach up too far the front sliding warns me turn over is near by. I did add a set of front weights and can get further up. I have a lowboy and turn over is harder to do because the center of gravity is lower. There are extensions to make a cub rear wider and less prone to spill over.
To answer your questions YES turf tires will cut up the lawn less. You can make too sharp turns and get a mess with them too if you try hard enough. YES front weights help hold on a hill better. Going up and down can be a better way. If the hill is too steep and you skid down if at a low throttle setting, be careful going up because you can lift the front of the cub over on you going up if you fetch up on anything. Just going up a 45 degree bank you have the cub half way over. After all that scarry stuff check out this link.

http://www.tm-tractor.com/gbrochures/st ... mowing.htm

Notice they have 3 sets of front weights.

Bill
Last edited by beaconlight on Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Redpower
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Redpower » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:47 pm

Check out this site for tires for older farm and misc. equipment. This is where I got my original looking firestone fronts. Miller Tire. They will be at the RPRU and will deliver tires there to help save on shipping.

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:18 am

going to a ribed front tire with front weights will make a big difference. get alway from any smooth tread tire, front or back. If your yard is that steep then you should be running with the wheels all the way out, extensions help. Dual rear wheels with four wheel weights will do wonders.
Ron

Return to “Farmall Cub”