This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Light White smoke/carbon coming from oil fill and exhaust

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CraigKennedy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28430

Light White smoke/carbon coming from oil fill and exhaust

Postby CraigKennedy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Hello all, I recently got my Lo-boy back together from a RMS leak, The tractor runs great but is blowing some light white smoke out of the breather, along with carbon/soot out of the fill tube and exhaust. I did a compression test a few weeks ago and the lowest reading was 90psi (Dry). Ive added seafoam to the gas and oil, seafoam has been in the crankcase for about 3 run hours now. I noticed that the oil fill tube had some white sludge around the inside, oil is clear and brown though. I was told to keep seafaom to it and work the engine, I'm also using non-detergent 30W oil. Any suggestions on stopping it?

thanks, Craig

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Light White smoke/carbon coming from oil fill and exhaus

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:35 pm

Condensation. Get the tractor good and hot - well operating temperature - and it should slowly disappear.

Actually, I wouldn't worry about it right now. Wait until warmer weather, then operate the tractor for a couple of hours.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:16 am

That's a cub's way of saying it wants to work hard.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby siii8873 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:38 pm

I was having this also and found my crank case vent pipe plugged. It's a pipe at the front of the engine that feeds through the air filter
"May the current be with you and the wind at your back"

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:24 pm

I suggest switching to a detergent oil at the next oil change to minimize black tarry sludge from accumulating in the crankcase. But detergent oil has no effect on the white condensation sludge you're describing.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Lurker Carl wrote:I suggest switching to a detergent oil at the next oil change to minimize black tarry sludge from accumulating in the crankcase. But detergent oil has no effect on the white condensation sludge you're describing.

Don't they say a detergent oil in an engine that runs non-detergent a bad idea? I really want to make the switch, but I don't know what will happen.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:06 am

Catastrophic failure in an engine is a symptom of extreme wear, abuse, neglect, engineering error or manufacturing defect rather than advances in oil chemistry. Detergent oil is neither a scrubbing agent nor a solvent, it does nothing to affect or remove existing deposits but will stop the deposits from growing deeper. The detergent additive keeps microscopic soot and metallic particles suspended in the oil for the filter to capture rather than allowing them settle out as sludge.

Edited for a bit lousy spelling.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to “Farmall Cub”