Hydraulic controls aren't working

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:54 pm

I have a 1953 Farmall Cub, I have used this to mow and plow snow. This past snow storm I was plowing and the touch controls would not raise or lower the plow. I was advised to remove the fill cap for the hydraulic fluid, and move the touch controls back and fourth to free any air that might have entered the system. However, this did not work.
Does anyone have any clues to what my problem is. :lost: :thanx: :?: Marie

Re: Hydraulic controls aren't working

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Did you check the level of the hydraulic fluid? If you find it is low, check the oil dipstick. If it is high there, you have hydraulic fluid leaking into the oil pan and will need to replace the shaft seal on the pump and change the oil. Also, was the temperature much colder than usual when you were plowing?

Bob

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Is the hyd. fluid level correct? If not, check your Cubs engine oil level. If the engine oil level over full, you need to replace the o-ring on the hydraulic pump. Check it out and report back.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard!! :{_}: This is the best Cub website on the planet.

Rick

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Check for missing nut, lock and gear on front of hyd. pump. Nut and lock may be in oil pan. Does the hydraulic system or pump make any noise when running or cycling?

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Did you check the level of the hydraulic fluid? If you find it is low, check the oil dipstick. If it is high there, you have hydraulic fluid leaking into the oil pan and will need to replace the shaft seal on the pump and change the oil. Also, was the temperature much colder than usual when you were plowing?

Bob

Why didn't I think of that?? :lol: :lol: :lol: You're just a little quicker on the trigger than me, Bob. :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Ricky, Great mind think alike. :D

Bob

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Topped fluid off until it was at the level needed last week. Just pulled the dip stick, it is reading approx. 1/4 inch above full? If the seal for the pump was the cause would the fluid level on the stick be much higher?

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:25 pm

If it is leaking, the engine oil level will continue to raise. If the fluid level is up and it still doesn't work, there is a chance that, like danovercash mentioned, the nut could have come off the pump shaft and the gear could have fallen off and dropped down into the oil pan. That is something you can check in about 1/2 hour or so. If the gear in in place, you probably need to direct your attention to the Touch Control unit.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:33 pm

danovercash wrote:Does the hydraulic system or pump make any noise when running or cycling?

it should make noise, right? what you're saying is if the gear fell off you wouldn't hear anything from it and there's your problem?

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Some tractors "whine" more than others. If it used to make noise and is quiet, that's a flag. Or listen to the pump with a stethoscope or long screw driver with handle next to ear and listen for gears turning.