This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cheap pressure plate

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Cheap pressure plate

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:54 am

Grrrrr. /letting off steam/.

Back around 2010, I did a pretty thorough rebuild of my Farmall Cub. I even went so far as to purchase a new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing. My original clutch didn't look that bad, and neither did the pressure plate, but I thought, "while I'm here...."

Well, the new pressure plate absolutely wasn't the best thing since sliced bread. The adjustment screws could work loose and I eventually had to use some loctite on them to help hold them in place. For some reason, they would eventually work back out anyway.

That meant readjusting them again and again. Well, this past weekend after the horrible ice storm in our area, I had time inside the garage to get at it. Yes, they were out of adjustment again, and this time the stinking ears for the flat blade screwdriver started to break off. I adjusted them as well as I could so that I could at least get the tractor moving again.

I've now started to rethink my old pressure plate. When I had the engine in for boring and rebuild at a machinist's shop, he mentioned he could resurface my pressure plate and install new springs. He said it wouldn't be a brand new pressure plate, but the metal would be far better than the newer ones coming out these days.

Now that I've had the unpleasant surprise of bad metal in the adjustment screws of the "new" pressure plate, I'm thinking about finding my old one and getting the shop to do the work on it.

I've used many parts for automobiles before that were remanufactured and had both good and bad results. Depends on who is doing what, which day of the week it is, etc.

Have any of you had an old IH pressure plate brought back to life? What are your opinions on this? I'm thinking about getting mine done soon and then schedule the tractor split sometime later this year.

Thanks folks for your help. As always, it's first rate.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Re: Cheap pressure plate

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 am

If it is original IH you should be good. I've not had any rebuilt, just reused them. They were good to go.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Denny. Long time no see.

I'm pretty sure I still have the original pressure plate. I'll have to look again as I've moved, and you know how things get misplaced during a move.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 pm

I just put a new clutch,pp,to bearing in my 73. I bought all the parts from TM, so I think they're Case/IH. The pp plate adjusting screws were a real bear as they had Loctite on them from the factory, so adjusting it for installation was real fun.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi Tom. That's good to know in case I can't find my original pressure plate.

TM tractor usually has great parts and the service is outstanding too.

I know I bought a clutch alignment tool from them years ago for my tear down. I know I have it somewhere too, but for the life of me I can't remember where I put it either! :lost:

I'll check around and see what I can come up with. Appreciate the information.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:13 pm

You can easily make your own clutch alignment tool. Take a short length of dowel (I think it's 5/8 - there's a standard size that will fit snugly in the pilot bushing. Slide it into the bushing, then slide the clutch disc over it until it is flush up to the flywheel. Make marks on the dowel either side of the clutch hub. Remove the clutch disk and dowel, and start wrapping duct tape strips a bit wider than the clutch hub around the dowel until it is thick enough to be snug when the clutch disk is slid on to the duct tape. Slide the dowel back into the pilot bushing, slide the clutch onto the duct tape and bolt up the pressure plate.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Well, I'm at least making a little progress. Found the tool I bought years ago to align the clutch plate.

Also found the original flywheel in a USPS shipping box.

But, no pressure plate yet.

Afraid I'm going to have to get a search warrant out for the pressure plate. At least it's a start!

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:10 pm

SundaySailor,

A sure fire way to find the missing pressure plate is to buy a new one, then the elusive one will magically appear! :D

It sounds like you are getting close, hang in there!

Good luck,
David

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:05 am

dgrapes59 wrote:A sure fire way to find the missing pressure plate is to buy a new one, then the elusive one will magically appear!

BTDT!! That happens to me almost daily, sometimes more that once a day. As soon as you don't need whatever you're looking for - poof - there it is! :shock: :coffee:
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:30 am

dgrapes59 wrote:SundaySailor,

A sure fire way to find the missing pressure plate is to buy a new one, then the elusive one will magically appear! :D

It sounds like you are getting close, hang in there!

Good luck,

You know, I'd already thought of that. I've had that happen several times. That's why I have two of certain kinds of wrenches and only one or others. :oops:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:37 am

I know this may be a stupid question, but did the new pressure plate have lock nuts on the finger adjustment screws, and if so did you lock them good and tight while holding the screw from turning. the nuts on clutch fingers have a different purpose than what we think of as is normally used to keep a bolt from loosening. These actually turn down against the metal plate and distort the screw threads a little in order to "jam" the screw from turning. Also are you sure the pressure plate is running true and not wobbling a little causing it to vibrate excessively.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:46 am

Hi John. Not a stupid question at all. Yes, I did crank down on the nuts on the pressure plate. I used a long bladed screwdriver to jam against the inside of the hand hole and part of the pressure plate "feet" where the adjusting screws were.

I had a heck of a time trying to get them to break loose to do the adjustments again. BTW, for the record.....Using an headband mounted light on your head helps a great deal in looking through that hand hole to make the adjustments. You also need (or at least I used) a good 1/2 inch open wrench and a ratchet screwdriver to make the screw adjustments. It's still a very tight fit, and can really try your patience.

However, it can be done.

As far as I know the pressure plate on the tractor is running true. It was a brand new one that I installed when I was getting the engine rebuilt. I even made sure I torqued every bolt on it along with the flywheel.

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:15 am

Guys, what really helps w/misplacing parts/tools if to have 2 different work areas!!! Just doubles the options (and frustrations!) LOL ! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:44 pm

Hey folks. Quick question.

I've looked around the shed again, and because it is such a mess from moving, I'm considering different options.

I looked online at TM tractor, and ebay. Something that struck me was some of the newer pressure plates have replaced the slotted screws for the adjustment screws for hex screws. To me, this gives you better leverage, especially if you have to do an adjustment in the tractor from the hand hole.

Since my pressure plate is practically brand new and only has problems with the adjusting screws breaking off at the heads, why can't I just split the tractor, remove the three adjusting screws and replace them with hardened (grade 8 if available) hex screws?

It would be the most cost efficient way to do the repair, and as I said, you could get far more leverage in screw adjustment.

What say ye? Thumbs up, or thumbs down?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CLUTCH-PRESSURE-PLATE-THROWOUT-KIT-FITS-IH-INTERNATIONAL-FARMALL-CUB-LOBOY-/301104665834?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item461b3c94ea

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:34 am

I have used set screws and they are much nicer to work with. You do need to keep up with adjustments as grade 8 screws can play heck with the TOB hanger assy., AND you might want to grind down the point on the set screw to avoid unwanted dimples.

Return to “Farmall Cub”