This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub irriation

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64011
Tractors Owned: 1973 International Cub S# 241812

Cub irriation

Postby Brutalfly » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Sorry for posting this but I just wanted to know if you guys and gals have ever went through this.
I called on a 1959 cub (I think I have decided not to get the $3000 one right now it is out of my price range)
Like I stated I called about a 1959 cub and I am going to go look at it more than likely.
I did some more calling around and talked with some nice gentlemen that know more about tractors than I do.
One of them was talking about how good a cub is and said it was a "nice little tractor"
Another gentlemen was telling me that they are pretty much junk tractors. He asked me what I wanted to use it for and I told him plowing a couple of gardens and a horse arena. He told me that if I really wanted to be happy I should go with a ford. He said the cub was week and would not do a good plowing job.
Is this type of stuff just the person's personal preference, past experience, or what?

I am a rookie at the whole tractor thing so hearing all the way around helps but then it also discourages me when it comes to wanting to make a purchase.

What do you guys think?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub irriation

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:24 pm

OK if you want to plow 100 + arres then a cub is no good for that. I have had my cub for 33 years and i would buy another.

If all you plan on useing it to cultivate garden it is one of the best little tractors out there. pull wagon etc.

it is good for cutting short grass but you can also do this (see Pic) if you need to.

it would be great to do the garden all summer then put a plow on the front for winter.

we have over 9000 members if that tells you anything.

it is also a easy tractor to work on and haul around town.

1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64011
Tractors Owned: 1973 International Cub S# 241812

Postby Brutalfly » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:38 pm

I totally agree with you.
I know that there is loyalty when it comes to brands
I plan on plowing a pumpkin patch a horse arena and a garden. Nothing over 2 acres.
I appreciate the input that everybody on this board has given me!!

Mike in Louisiana wrote:OK if you want to plow 100 + arres then a cub is no good for that. I have had my cub for 33 years and i would buy another.

If all you plan on useing it to cultivate garden it is one of the best little tractors out there. pull wagon etc.

it is good for cutting short grass but you can also do this (see Pic) if you need to.

it would be great to do the garden all summer then put a plow on the front for winter.

we have over 9000 members if that tells you anything.

it is also a easy tractor to work on and haul around town.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:44 pm

Whenever somebody questions the job a cub can do I toss this video out there. Granted, it is limited due to its pto being reversed and nothing but a Cub implement will work with it, but it does do the job with the right equipment attached.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm pretty much on the side of the second opinion you posted - buy a Ford. Actually, look for a tractor with a 3-point hitch, standard PTO, capable of pulling 2-12 or 2-14 plow bottoms.

Reasoning:

Some Cub implements are hard to come by and frequently a pain - time consuming - to change implements. Small tractor 3-point implements are readily available, used and new.

It would take at least 4 hours to plow 2 acres with a Cub, probably more. And then add in the time to mount and dismount the plow. Slightly larger tractor, 3 point hitch, 2 bottom plow, plot is plowed and your drinking coffee in around one third to half the time.

Just my opinion. I own 2 Cubs. Great tractors for some tasks, just not a do it all tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:07 pm

Brutalfly wrote:Another gentlemen was telling me that they are pretty much junk tractors. He asked me what I wanted to use it for and I told him plowing a couple of gardens and a horse arena. He told me that if I really wanted to be happy I should go with a ford. He said the cub was week and would not do a good plowing job.

Whether a Cub is a good tractor or not depends completely on what you intend to use it for. However, I've found that nearly everyone that makes blanket comments like the above have never even been on a Cub and have no idea what they are capable of.

As far as plowing goes, here is a little anecdote. When my dad was selling a tractor and ran into competition from a Ford, he would give the prospect a yard stick and send him out to where somebody was plowing with a Ford. He'd have the guy check the plow depth in several places around the field. That usually took care of the situation. These would have been 9Ns, and I presume ford has improved since then.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:15 pm

Of course, this is a Farmall forum, so we are kinda biased. We like Farmalls.

The Ford is a great tractor, but it is big and heavy. You need lifting equipment to do work on them (or any of the larger Farmalls). If you are not in a hurry, the Cub does a great job of plowing. Yes, it is slower than a 2 bottom plow on a Ford, but it gets the job done. Take a look at the pics on this forum of a cub plowing. The cub is more maneuverable than a Ford and in my opinion it is easier to drive and see what you are doing. The Ford is much more powerful and faster on the road than the Cub, but it is bigger.

Yes, implements for a Cub can be cumbersome, but for most tasks, you are not switching back and forth too often. For example, I plow a garden with the Cub, mow in the Summer, and plow snow in the Winter. Thus, my implement changes for the year are as follows: Spring, remove snow blade, mount 193 plow. Late Spring, remove plow, mount mower deck. Late Fall, remove mower, mount snowplow...Repeat. 3 implement changes per year. Not too bad. Now, if you want to plow, plant, fertilize, cultivate, mow, and plow snow, that means more than one cub because the number of implement changes becomes really cumbersome.

Again... this is a Farmall forum, so we are biased.

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:00 pm

This topic comes up every so often.

My suggestion is to make a list of the tasks you want the tractor to perform. The tractor features and implements included on the list. Look around and see what makes, models, and used implements are available. Also check for near by parts and service.

Some folks on this board own more than one Cub and larger and other makes of tractors. If you like IH products, consider a Super C, or the 140, for small farm/acreage.

As Mike says "We're biased". But our opinion(s) may not be correct for your situation.
I have an excuse. CRS.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:24 pm

As others have said, the Farmall Cub was specifically designed for small farm chores, plowing up to 40 acres (supposedly, not sure I'd want to do that), and row crop farming. They were a HUGE success in the tobacco farms of Kentucky and Tennessee, and truck farms throughout the midwest. One of their biggest advantages however is one of their slight disadvantages. The Cub is a light tractor.

That's a huge plus if you plan to trailer it around to various locations (as you've suggested). The next larger IH tractor, a Farmall A, 100, 130, 140 (all the same tractor, just numbers changed over the years) weighs almost double that of a Cub, and is actually more of a comparable tractor to a Ford 8N in size and capabilities. However, weighing in at over 2500 pounds, you have to watch how you haul it, what you haul it with, where you want to drive it, because it will definitely tear up a soft lawn.

The one disadvantage to a cub is the lack of a 3-point hitch, for quick change implements. However, as Jim indicated, MANY tractors with a 3-point hitch will not plow as effeciently or effectively as a Cub. Cubs were specifically designed with plowing and cultivating in mind, and there's not many other tractors out there (antique or modern) that will compare with the Cub's intended work, plowing and cultivating.

I grew up working on Cubs, and Cub Cadets, and have owned literally dozens of them. I love them, love the fact that they are easy to work on, and the fact that I can tear one down and work on it by myself, without help, without help of hoists or heavy machinery, and can do it all in my 12 x 16 shed, or in my garage. Anything bigger, including just going up one step to a Super A, or a Ford 9n, means HEAVY lifting! If you need to tear one apart, you need a hoist. Want to pull a final drive, you need a hoist. Want to change a rear tire, you need a couple of guys, or a hoist!

Now, I do have to say, I have a Ford 9n out at my hunting camp, and it's a beast. VERY heavy, and works great for brush hogging, which is pretty much all we use it for. Otherwise, I think it's a piece of crap! It's way too heavy for it's size. It's plain dangerous to operate with the rear tires coming right up near the seat and no foot rests, the steering is lousy, and in general is just a big, bulky, heavy tank! I'm sure it would work good plowing in fields, but your vision is limited because your down low, behind the steering wheel and hood, and can NEVER see what's right in front of you. Personally, I think they are WAY over rated, and just big heavy machines that have gotten a "good" history just because you can't tear them up.

So, there you go for a little different perspective on these tractors.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:25 pm

As for plowing, the Cub does an excellent job plowing, provided the plow is properly adjusted. An improperly adjusted plow will do a very poor job. The previous two statements apply to any tractor/plow combination. Proper adjustment is the key, studying the manual is essential for proper adjustment. Don't skip the manual.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

dmacarthur
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 05344

Postby dmacarthur » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:50 pm

Cubs have the advantage of being able to plow in both directions, which really speeds up a small plot. Having said that, I only plow with a (substitute orange tractor name here, perhaps to one day become the Cub of the late 20th century?) now, the Cubs are for other chores requiring less power or mass.

Chris in PA
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
189 Plows
144 Cultivators
184 Planter
54A Blade
Woods 59 Mower
1938 JD A
194x JD LA
1PR Picker
76 Combine

Postby Chris in PA » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:58 pm

If you have to deal with any kind of land with slope to it with your tractor activities, the utility style tractor as mentioned might be a better choice as the high center of gravity of the Cub can be an issue. One of my neighbors has a garden I won't plow with the Cub because it has enough slope to it that it makes me uncomfortable.

Chris

TomE
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28698
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 TO35

Postby TomE » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:22 pm

This week I have turned over 4,000 sq ft of sod. The soil is rocky and one spot is on a slight hill. The Cub struggled a little up hill but did very well. Our Cub is a worker. It will disc next, then harrow, scrap the drive, and start mowing the yard and fields. It does have it's limitations, but is a very useful tool. Changing implements, especially changing tread widths can be a chore. This weekend I was thinking how great a 3 point would be.
Before you get that Ford, especially an N version, and if you need that level of power I'd go with a MF 35. It sits the ground the same, will have 10 more HP, live power, and it will still be red.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 pm

I'm a newbie at the Cub thing but I can say I love mine (1950) just going into my second year with it. Just got it back from a local fellow who is well known locally for doing great Cub work and I couldn't be happier. He went through the carb, governor, put in a new steering gear housing gasket, found and installed chains, checked the compression (good) and just gave it an overall health inspection. He wants it bad but it ain't for sale. I told him if nothing else, I would will it to him. I lied, I plan on being buried on it.

Anyway, I wouldn't want anything else and when I'm not using it, it makes a great lawn ornament. I love that thing.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:07 am

The above are some comments to think about Brutalfly...

I know you've got thoughts bouncing around in your head from all the comments, questions, and so on. Step back, take a deep breath and relax. There's only so much new information a person can absorb. Take what you know and apply it to your situation.

Personally, I think a Cub would fit the bill great. I also know this: you will not find a better tractor support group to help you with Cub-related questions than right here. :D
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”