Rear wheel spacers?

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:32 am

These were advertised for a Cub LOBOY. Will these also fit a standard Cub?

What (if any) are the risks of using these spacers to widen the space between rear wheels?

Re: Rear wheel spacers?

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:01 am

Yes, They will fit (you could verify that with the seller if you have any concerns). No risks that I am aware of as long as you make sure you keep the bolts tight. What are you going to do on the front end if you go to 58"?

Bob

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:02 am

those are for a numbered series lo boy that use the wide turf tires. Yes they will work on a std cub but for what reason I dont know.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:00 am

I'm not sure how well your axle tube will hold up with the stress from being so much wider.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:08 am

I had a set of aluminum spacers for my numbered series.
While they performed the task of moving the wheels out (for chains), they did wear out.
The holes where the bolts fit were not tapered to match the bolts. They eventually wore slack and then allowed the bolts to waller (not a northerner term) out the mounting holes. Had to remove the tires and tighten them up twice a year.
Eventually, one failed while on a slope and caused an usafe removal of the rear tire breaking off all but one lug bolts. :help:
I believe the failure was caused by using a tapered shoulder lug bolt rather than a flat-shouldered bolt. If using these, spend the money on the proper bolts, steel flat washers, and lock washers.

I have purchased the steel version of spacers that has an IH part number. No issues since. Don't need to retighten.
http://www.tugedge.com/p/Services#%2fCub_Cadet%2fCub_185_Lo-Boy_Tractor%2fRear_Wheel_Spacer_(Floatation_Tires)%2f011840-A%2f0118400071
Note: The picture you have shown looks like the bolts go through the rim & wheel spacer. This would be easier to retighten. The set I had was different. 5 bolts mounted the spacer to the axle, and had 5 studs that protruded through the rim and fastened the rim with nuts.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:52 am

Any excess width is going to cause damage to the tractor on down the road. ---I know how to widen the front axle,-- BUT there again would NOT be good on a cub! thanks; sonny