I need this

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:36 pm

Does anyone know the guy int his video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPQ7lC0AIfk

I would love to know how he made this tiller. :worthy:

Re: I need this

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Looks like a pretty ingenious setup, but he is going a little deep. I learned from talking to a Howard distributor that you are better off if you only go 2 to at most 3 inches deep when preparing a seedbed, and about the same when cultivating. Since following his instructions I have had my best gardens ever.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:12 pm

A rototiller is a great tool when used as it should be. When used improperly, they break down the soil crumb structure and create an almost impermeable plow sole, not good things.

Bill

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:47 pm

So Bill, are you saying that the old farmers that I grew up with were right? They never mentioned "soil crumb structure", but said if you worked the soil too much and got it too fine, it packed down and was too hard. Hmm, maybe they were pretty smart after all.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:57 pm

Ron,

Those old boys were absolutely correct.

Bill

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:16 pm

not to mention that you cannot run a rototiller that fast over the ground.... unless it has already been tilled repeatedly. the ground speed of the cub needs to be slowed with a speed reducer.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:10 am

I use a mulch over the entire garden so I need to till deep in the spring. This does not appear to hurt anything. Shallow cultivation is then done until the plants are high enough to again mulch. One of the disadvantages of deep tilling is that it brings up weed seeds that need light to germinate. Another is the damage to roots if the plants are mature. A tomato plant will send out roots two feet.
The tiller in the picture has its own engine so the speed of the cub could be slowed by running at partial throttle. Kind of a neat tiller though. Vern

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:06 pm

I noticed that the tines are running backwords or the tiller is mounted backwords.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:37 am

Clark Thompson wrote:I noticed that the tines are running backwords or the tiller is mounted backwords.

:lol: I missed that. Good eye.