This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No Till 174

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck
Circle of Safety: Y

No Till 174

Postby clodhopper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Anyone ever rigged or have any ideas about rigging a 174 runner planter with a no till blade in front of the runner blade? Just looking for ideas and opinions. thanks in advance

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Re: No Till 174

Postby gusbratz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:46 pm

I am not interested in no till because all the poison spray seems like a bad idea, I like cultivating and plowing any way. just me, maybe I am missing something. :)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:13 am

I think agri supply sells a no-till coulter and shank, you'd need to come up with a bar ahead of the runner to mount it. Not sure how good a runner is going to work, even behind a coulter but if you don't have a lot of trash on the ground you might get by ok. I expect you'll need to have a more agressive way to cover the seed too.

What are you going to try to no-till? For the last couple seasons I have been curious about some of the Roundup Ready sweet corn varieties that are available, but the seed is so expensive I'm too cheap to try any.....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:24 am

My thing is soil compaction. I have a lot of clay in my soil, and it seems to do better the LESS I cultivate. I was gonna try no tilling the garden since I have tons of leaf waste to use for mulch. More work and less seat time, but more productive possibly. Was not going to use any herbicides. I basically cover the garden spot with leaf matter each year and burn it, but this year I decided to let the leaves lay. I would have to remove the leaves where my rows are going, and then use the leaves for mulch after emergence. What's your take on that Al? You are the man in the know!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:48 am

Well we're still pretty backwards and disk and chisel plow and field cultivate he*ll out of everything, but I think if you can get the runner in the ground, and get the seed covered, there's no reason it won't work.

I would leave the leaves on the ground, and then rig up something like a set of Dawn row cleaners ahead /beside the no-till coulter:

It should give you something like this:

Again, get the seed in the ground and covered. In heavy soil I am not sure how good a 174 would do, but you may never know 'till you try.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:58 am

clodhopper wrote: I basically cover the garden spot with leaf matter each year and burn it

IMHO, you should be tilling those leaves (and grass clippings, too, if you have them) into the clay instead of burning them. I had clay soil where my garden is when I moved there. Each year I would use grass clippings for mulch, and in the fall, pile on the leaves and rototill it in the spring (I have since learned it have been better for the soil to till in the fall). After about 4-5 years, I did not need to power till in the spring. I could drive a pitchfork all the way in with one hand. YMMV, of course.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

DD92cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60957
Tractors Owned: 50 Farmall Cub Demo #99632
72 cub cadet 128 (gtp)
74 cub cadet 129
76 cub cadet 1650

Postby DD92cubs » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:45 am

Super A wrote:I think agri supply sells a no-till coulter and shank, you'd need to come up with a bar ahead of the runner to mount it. Not sure how good a runner is going to work, even behind a coulter but if you don't have a lot of trash on the ground you might get by ok. I expect you'll need to have a more agressive way to cover the seed too.

What are you going to try to no-till? For the last couple seasons I have been curious about some of the Roundup Ready sweet corn varieties that are available, but the seed is so expensive I'm too cheap to try any.....

Al

From my experience the round up ready sweetcorn was terrible no where near as sweet and way too pricey in my opinion. That could have been the variety we tried though.

As far as the 174 on no till I am not sure how well it would perform being an older style runner planter. Most modern planters have disc openers and covering wheels and perform well without the coulter depending on trash. It would be an interesting idea if it didn't take much modification.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:35 am

DD92cubs wrote:
Super A wrote:I think agri supply sells a no-till coulter and shank, you'd need to come up with a bar ahead of the runner to mount it. Not sure how good a runner is going to work, even behind a coulter but if you don't have a lot of trash on the ground you might get by ok. I expect you'll need to have a more agressive way to cover the seed too.

Al

As far as the 174 on no till I am not sure how well it would perform being an older style runner planter. Most modern planters have disc openers and covering wheels and perform well without the coulter depending on trash. It would be an interesting idea if it didn't take much modification.

Agree. A small unit planter with disk openers like a JD 71 would be much better.

Al

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:08 pm

No-till anything eats up more power than you can get from cub OR a SA----also you gotta run about 10 miles an hour for the units to work properly! (ask me how I know????)---also all that weight hanging on a cub is just not gonna work!
Round-up sweet corn IS terrible, (they gotta long ways of GMO work to do on it to get taste into it.)
I still use chems. and always will,(cant hand weed 5 acres with my crippled body) thanks; sonny

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:04 pm

SONNY wrote:No-till anything eats up more power than you can get from cub OR a SA----also you gotta run about 10 miles an hour for the units to work properly! (ask me how I know????)---also all that weight hanging on a cub is just not gonna work!
Round-up sweet corn IS terrible, (they gotta long ways of GMO work to do on it to get taste into it.)
I still use chems. and always will,(cant hand weed 5 acres with my crippled body) thanks; sonny

10 MPH definitely not. If anything you might run slower depending on conditions. Even the most sophisticated planter is not going to space seed very well that fast. Depending on the planter set-up and soil type/condition extra weight may or may not be necessary to get the openers in the ground. That extra weight can be from physically adding weight to the machine, or (more commonly) from down pressure springs. (My dad bought a new planter 3 years ago and it actually uses a compressor/air bladder system to vary the down pressure.) To fully determine if it would work or not, we would need to see what clodhopper's soil is like. I think his biggest limitation will be the runner opener.

I haven't tried it yet but with a cheap coulter unit and a 185 planter unit, I believe you could easily make a no-till setup for a Cub that would work in my soils, but they are more on the sandy side.

Al

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:13 pm

My neighbor wont run less than 10 and has excellent stands----but then he runs a green machine--- 16 row has to pull it with BIG 4-wd tractor. thanks; sonny

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:27 pm

Use the tool bar of a furrowing attachment to mount a coulter ahead of the runner. You may want to try one or a pair of disk hillers to open a groove for the runner.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:37 pm

SONNY wrote:My neighbor wont run less than 10 and has excellent stands----but then he runs a green machine--- 16 row has to pull it with BIG 4-wd tractor. thanks; sonny

May be (A Max Emerge is good but I don't know that it's that good) but not necessary. Typical speed is 4.5-7 MPH.

Al

DD92cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60957
Tractors Owned: 50 Farmall Cub Demo #99632
72 cub cadet 128 (gtp)
74 cub cadet 129
76 cub cadet 1650

Postby DD92cubs » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:03 pm

Super A wrote:
SONNY wrote:My neighbor wont run less than 10 and has excellent stands----but then he runs a green machine--- 16 row has to pull it with BIG 4-wd tractor. thanks; sonny

May be (A Max Emerge is good but I don't know that it's that good) but not necessary. Typical speed is 4.5-7 MPH.

Al

I second that, the fastest we have planted was a freckle over 7mph with a 12 row 900 cyclo usually run the 5mph area though.

Return to “Farmall Cub”