Touch Control

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:12 pm

Was plowing snow and blade was working perfectly. I let the blade down, and when I went to raise it, nothing. No noise, no drag on engine. Took pump off and appeared OK. Put pump back on, started engine, again nothing. Loosened line from pump, and oil just seeped out. not under pressure. Ideas?

Re: Touch Control

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:29 am

Hopefully not being over obvious, but did you check the hydraulic oil level? If it is low, be careful not to overfill. You'll need to bleed the air out of the system by cycling the controls back and forth.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:42 am

Also, check your engine oil. If it is over filled all of a sudden, your pump has begun to leak into the engine oil. There is a rebuild kit for the pumps available at TM Tractor or at your local IH dealer that will help to stop any leaks there. Most likely, the shaft o-ring seal (or if an older cub, just a seal) has worn and is leaking. Also check the shaft of the TC pump for grooves where the o-ring rides as this can cause a leak as well.

Mike

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Oil is fine. Changed the hydraulic fluid and cycled the TC, no difference in the engine oil. Will remove the pump again and check the o-ring / or seal. Not sure which it has, however I believe it has o ring. Could it be something in the box that would go that quick?

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:46 pm

I know it may sound simple, but check the linkages to be sure they are still connected. That includes linkage on control valve(small rod by the main cylinder). Can be easily overlooked

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:25 pm

hey sorry to say but mine did the same thing i pulled it down and found 2 o-rings blown apart ...

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:35 pm

ordered kit for pump. Will see if that takes care of problem. Everything seemed OK, but will try kit. Don't want to go into the box if I don't have to.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:45 pm

I know this is old but it is about Touch Control.
Since I have my Cub,20 years, the blade always crept down unless the RPM was kept high.
Pulled it off today and found a crack in the cylinder bore with a botched epoxy repair.
The O-Ring was in two pieces,pretty impressed it worked at all.
Has anyone sleeved a Touch Control or should I start looking for a new TC?

Thanks, Guy

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:21 pm

If the gear was still on the hydraulic pump and full fluid level in the touch control, and no excess engine oil.

Then the problem is not the hydraulic pump.

Put the tractor in a warm shed or put some heat (light bulb) on the side of the touch control. Thinking frozen moisture.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:35 pm

I second some heat to maybe thaw a blockage. Is there anything to run through the hydraulic lines and reservoir to flush any water out and clean the system?

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi,
Eugene and offrink, read the post by gww52, right above Eugene's post, he asked a question today, the rest of the post was months ago. I think you answered the question at the top again, from months ago.
To comment on your question gww52, the best way would be to buy another Touch Control block with the parts in it, complete, that you know works right, if possible. My opinion. :)

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22 pm

I didn't notice the dates. But still I was just curious about getting water out Of a hydraulic system. Is just fresh fluid do it? I'm new to hydraulic wrenching. Used it a lot but took stuff to a shop mechanic if it wasn't a quick fix.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 pm

If there's water in the system - drain, flush with kerosene and then re-fill when the kerosene runs clear.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Thinking kerosene may be to light of a fluid to flush the system.

IH Hytran hydraulic fluid absorbs moisture. There are compatible hydraulic fluids on the market, less expensive.

My opinion, I would just change the hydraulic fluid and not flush the system.

The touch control is a sealed system. There should be no or very little moisture in the system. But, considering the age of the tractor, one never knows.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:21 pm

Never flush a Touch-Control system with anything but hydraulic oil. If the oil looks milky, change it a couple times.